t w e n t y - e i g h t | s k y e

Start from the beginning

Skye tries to take a step towards him, reaching for him. "Bryan-"

"No! Listen to me, Skye!" Bryan jerks away from me, a wild glint in his eyes. "If Raz truly is the spy, then he would have been told to get close to someone romantically. It makes sense, doesn't it? He would've gotten information from me, and I would have told him eagerly! I did!"

"Bryan," he bit his lip. "I know he isn't the spy."

He freezes. "You...what?"

"I was suspicious at first." he admitted, "But that's it. He saved Lana's life and has helped us time and time again. Also, the way he seemed happy around you seems genuine. I just don't think it was all fake."

Some of Bryan's anger has faded, but a distressed look is still evident in his features. "So...what are we going to do now? When we get back, should we go to the council?"

"I think-"

"You boys ready to go?" Arlo appears beside them suddenly, startling them both.

Bryan turns away, effectively hiding his vulnerable expression, and straps Whiplash's saddle shut, "I'm ready."

Skye nods in agreement, unable to find words around his uncle yet. He's forgiven him for everything he's done but...he can't get that moment out of his head. That moment where he hurt him, almost killing him, and hardly seemed to care. Nor can he simply forget that feeling of betrayal. He wants to move past that and see Arlo in the same fatherly image as before, but what he did while he was under Vyanna's control...well, it's almost the same thing as his father being controlled by alcohol. They both hurt him in the end.

Arlo looks towards him, his expression softening visibly, "Skye, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure." he says quietly and together they start to move away from Bryan, Whiplash, and Firedust. Firedust gives him a knowing glance before he goes, and gives him a reassuring nuzzle on the arm as he walks past. He smiles softly, and rubs his scales affectionately. Then, they go.

Somehow, they make their way from the outskirts of Lyon to a deserted dirt path near the edge of the cliffs. It's in the middle of the night, and on his right, the glow from the festivities light up the night skies with a gentle warm glow. On his left, the moon tries to conquer this pleasant light with it's own cold blue aura. It's a wondrous clash of colors that holds his attention for a long time as he searches for reasons to not say a word.

How could he tell his own uncle that he doesn't trust him anymore?

"Skye," Arlo begins softly and when he glance over, he can tell he's equally as nervous, "I know I've already said I'm sorry but-"

"Look, Arlo, you don't need to apologize." he says abruptly.

"I do. What I did..." he runs his hand through his hair, a distressed look on his face, then sighs. They're silent for a long moment, both of them looking up at the night sky, uncertain what to say next.

Arlo breaks the silence. "When you were younger, your father used to treat you like royalty. You could have whatever you wanted, if only you asked. I was so proud of him, and I could tell he was a proud father. Then, when you were around seven years old I was out on a mission. Your father was so busy caring for you, and initially the mission was intended for him." A nostalgic look appears on his features and he chuckles slightly. "He argued with the council about it for the longest time, but because of the importance of warring islands, they insisted that someone of royal blood went to settle it. It would have been agony to leave you, so I went in his stead."

The small smile on his face fades, and a darkness creeps over his features, "When I returned after several months of being gone, everything had changed. Your mother had been killed by the dragon hunters and my brother was someone I no longer recognized. It was then I saw the first bruises on your body."