Chapter 2 - A Nightmare

When I was a child, my father used to tell me that monsters live among us. They walk with us, ride with us on buses and jeepneys, buy clothes and stuff with us at supermarkets, and that they look exactly like us. He would always scare me by telling me the story of the old man outside our house that lures children and eats them. It was actually a popular story in our neighborhood with the very purpose to scare us, children; I have to say it was really effective. It was when I reached 12 when I realized that this story was fake. It was just my father's way to make me stay at home and not wander far. As an innocent, clueless child, I got so scared to that story that every time I'd see a strange-looking, old man walking near our house or anywhere, I'd automatically flinch in terror and worst, cry out for my mother. She would always be there of course to comfort me whilst father would just laugh it off as if it was one hell of a joke. He impressed to me a story that haunted my entire childhood. Until now, whenever I see old men, I would still get this weird feeling that somehow refreshes all those terrors from my childhood.
The fear always resurfaces.

02/27/2016 6:32 P.M.

The rain did not stop that day, though it was not really hard, but it did not stop.

I was awakened by Mr. Enriquez, slightly shaking me to wake up. His breath smelled like rotten meat covered in nicotine as he spoke to me. I was on my bed, lying weakly. The light inside my room were not only the single fluorescent anymore but the many flashes of cameras here and there. My eyes adjusted to the light, opening them slowly as to see clearly the people walking about my room. Uniformed men talking to each other, some taking pictures. Mr. Enriquez spoke again, asking me if I was okay. I noticed some familiar faces in the room. There was Mateo Gonzales, the father of the Gonzales family. His bald head shone under the fluorescent light. He looked as worried as his wife beside him, Annalyn. She also asked me if I was alright. I think I nodded that I was fine. The three of them stood on my right. A young officer approached us, looking as stern as he could be. He looked at me and then to the people around me. He took in a deep breath before asking if I could already make a statement. I actually did not know how to respond, everything felt very surreal and blurry at times. Annalyn tried to assist me when I attempted to sit by the corner of my bed. I smiled at her and thanked her. She smiled in response but looked so worried at the same time.

"I woke up," I started as I slowly muster the strength to talk; my voice sounded so weak and my throat's very dry. I tried to close my eyes for a moment and tried to remember everything that happened before I passed out. Instantly, all the memories from earlier started flooding into me like a fast-forwarded film. Everything was messed up, like all the nightmares that I had had from my childhood started to resurface from my subconscious. It was painful, but I know I have to share my side of the coin.

"I woke up and I heard a loud bang on my door and –"

I was suddenly cut off when Mr. Gonzales loudly exclaimed, "she threw the dead dog at your door! She threw a dead dog at your door!"

Everyone turned to see Mr. Gonzales. Embarrassment painted on his face when he realized what he did.

"Sir?" the officer said, leering at Mr. Gonzales. "I only need Mr. Bautista's statement," the officer looked quite pissed with the bald fellow. I saw Mrs. Gonzales grabbed her husband to the side and said something like "let Adam tell his story".

She threw a dead dog on my door? I tried to see the other officers by the door; they were now taking the dead dog. It was all bloody. I think that explains the loud bang I heard earlier. Now, I was more certain that something was not really right with her.

"Anyway, I got up on my feet and hurried to the door," I continued, but I suddenly paused. I think they need to know my previous encounter with the deceased. "By the way, officer, before that, the lady approached me hours before I found her dead."