Chapter 9

Disclaimer: Unlike Book One, Book Two of Magic in the Air has not yet been fully edited. I hope that any errors or awkward phrasing that might remain don't dampen your enjoyment of the story.

---

The dark of the room was broken by a single candle lit in the middle of one the bar's large square tables. Shadows of the four chairs around this table leapt across the bar room walls. To those passing by outside the candlelight suggested a sleepless barkeep. The bolt was already across the door and the moon had started to descend, so it was clear that no drinker or other patron of this particular bar was still inside.

Edgar scowled at the stretch of street outside the bar's main window. His veil on the back entrance was still holding and both of his businesses had been booming. He looked around the room. Through the gloom he admired its structure. The space. The tables and chairs and polished bar. He knew the top could be as shiny as it wanted for the morning light. I don't pay the help here better than any other establishment for nothing. He grinned. To himself and to his thoughts.

The spell around him broke when two figures appeared around the side of the table.

"Welcome, gentlemen." Edgar needed no time to adjust to his guests' presence. "How was the night out there?"

From across the table Gerard spoke up. "Quiet and still. The usual for these meetings. It seemed as though there were fewer of. . .them. . .around this time. You haven't---" Gerard caught himself, but already the other men had grim grins on their faces. To Gerard they looked nearly like masks.

"shall we get to our agenda?" Edgar folded his hands on the table. "Flynn? What have you to report about the situation up north?"

Gerard cut in. "Shouldn't we wait for our fourth?" He gestured to the open seat beside him. When Gerard looked to the men for an answer he noticed Edgar settle into his chair, and Flynn lower his chin. The sight told him to relax, but Gerard's mind began to race.

"Orin will not be joining us this evening. He is still recovering from his experience of a few days past."

The man's words were calm and clinical. Nonetheless, Gerard felt questions bubbling up in his mind. It was true that he hadn't seen Orin for a few days since the demonstration. But he had heard that he was too busy cramming practices and lessons in with Dean to spend much time on anything else. Whatever anyone thought about Frances, her exile meant that the guild was losing a master of magic maintenance. It didn't help matters that Martin was still injured as well. The boy now needed to be ready for jobs on his own much sooner than under normal circumstances. Amidst his worries Gerard still found reason to smile. His memories of teaching Dean about the guild and Hemmark and history stirred up thoughts of his time teaching Orin the same lessons. Both were quick to learn and had minds that always seemed eager for more.

In a minute, though, his mind and face darkened. Along with magical skill, such minds also found it easy to master obfuscation and convincing others that nothing was wrong. Gerard knew that Dean possessed magical ability in spades, such was obvious even from the mere two months he had spent with him. He hoped that the boy's upbringing, his zodiac, his something kept him from falling into the same abyss Orin had.

"If there is no further question of attendance?" Edgar's voice dropped off into silence.

"No. No, that answers my question." Gerard placed folded hands on the table and leaned forward, looking to Flynn.

"Excellent." Edgar's voice hardened as a smile spread his lips. "Flynn." He turned to the man. "Please, do proceed with your report." The tone lacked all the venom of the answer Gerard had gotten. Which didn't surprise him in the slightest. If any pair in the guild were closer than these two, it was among the most well guarded of secrets. Even more so than these meetings.