Chapter 9

───✧✦✧───

───✧✦✧───

It's been two weeks since I helped Red and Connor with getting the twins out of their previous home and after hearing that Red's family took them in, you'd think they just won the lottery. It was surprising to hear what Red and Connor suspected, sure I put my nose in something that wasn't my business but still, the twins were so welcoming when I was recruited and transferring to the school so I knew that even if it wasn't my business I wanted to help.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I hear a pencil tapping on the table beside me. I glance over at Red who's been sitting quietly in our English class, eyes closed as he aimlessly taps his pencil on the table. It took me a week to notice he was in the class, I prefer sitting in the front of the class whereas he sits in the back but the minute he knew I realized we were in the same class, he changed to sitting beside me instead. 

"What do you think Mr. J has to announce?" Red asks me as we wait for our teacher to come back to the classroom.

"I don't know, maybe it's an assignment," I shrug as I read through my biology textbook while taking notes as we wait.

"You're probably right," he answers as our teacher walks back into the classroom.

"Before the bell rings, I want to tell you all that I will be assigning an assignment to the class and luckily for you all, it will be done in partners," Mr. J starts off saying and the class starts to get loud from that. Fuck, partner work? I don't mind it but I always got stuck with the one person that takes too long to do their portion of the assignment or sometimes they don't do it at all which leaves me talking with the teacher explaining I'm not sharing the mark; both situations are mentally draining.

"Hold on, I have not finished yet. Although it will be a partner assignment, I will be choosing the partners," he concludes and the class goes silent when he says that. He starts laughing at the class's obvious disappointment as he opens a folder. " We will be focusing on Shakespeare's Macbeth for the next three weeks. You and your partner will analyze act one. Pick up a package when I call your names. Anita, you'll be working with Red," he tells the two of us and I perk up when I hear that as Red leans over as Mr. J hands him a package.

"Look's like we'll be working together," I say smiling at Red while he gives me a smirk.  As the pairs are called out, I just get the sense someone is glaring at me from behind me. I glance around the classroom until my eyes meet Cassandra's, a glare set on her face as she grits her teeth in frustration.

"Your fangirl is hating the fact we're working together," I say in a low voice to Red as a frown settles on his face. I watch him turn around to look at her and as if she knew he would do that, the nasty expression from before is already gone. Instead, she's smiling as if she's an angel, twirling her hair around her index finger trying to act cute for him.  Too bad she's the devil's incarnate not to mention a major bitch. Her hostility hasn't gone down since she found out my connection with the team and I haven't even mentioned to the boys she's trying to pick a fight with me.