Chapter 33

Once my arm was wrapped and my fathers signed the discharge papers I was on my way home. I was tired and in pain, so all I wanted to do was get home and go to bed. Jake could tell I was in a foul mood, so he kept silent and held my hand the whole way home. Mitch was driving us while Scott drove the other car behind us.

A stomach rumbles and I look down sheepishly, knowing it was mine. Jake giggles and my dad look back. "Someone's hungry." Mitch says with a chuckle and I sigh. "Maybe a little." I say and he rolls his eyes playfully. "I'll order you something when we get home." He says and I thank him before leaning on Jake and closing my eyes.

Soon we're pulling up to the house and we all hop out. Scott pulls in a moment after us and heads straight to the apartment door. We walk in silently behind him and I close the door. There was something off about the apartment and I couldn't put my finger on it, until I noticed the glass from the balcony door on the floor.

I grab ahold of Mitch and point towards the broken door. He gasps promptly getting Scott's and Jake's attention. "What the actual hell?" Scott questions and I back into the island still holding onto Mitch. Scott walks closer and notices a brick laying in the shards of broken glass.

Attached to it was a note that read, Leave! No one wants you here and no one wants you in Pentatonix. Mitch quickly calls Ben while Scott starts to clean up the glass. "James are you okay? You haven't moved and I don't think you've blinked." Mitch asks and I look at him.

"Are we safe? I don't feel safe." I ask voice low; scared to speak any louder. "I'm not sure yet honey. But I don't feel safe either." He answers truthfully and I look at Jake who hasn't moved either. I squeeze his hand and he squeezes mine right back.

After explaining everything to Ben, he decides that we should stay in a hotel or with another member of ptx just to be safe. After cleaning up the glass Scott calls 911 and explains to them what happened. "Did anyone check the rest of the apartment? What if they're still here?" Jake asks and my skin immediately begins to crawl.

We all look to Scott and he grabs the bat he keeps by the front door. He slowly makes his way though the apartment checking every room, closet and bathroom. Once he was sure no one was there he came back out.

"So I'm gonna wait for the cops. Mitch can you call Kevin or Avi and see if we can stay there? If they have the room you guys head over and I'll meet you once the cops check everything." He says and Mitch nods. He calls Kevin who answers almost immediately.

Mitch explains what's happened and Kevin offers for us to stay with them before Mitch can even ask. Jake and I head to my room to pack bags before heading back into the living room to wait for Mitch. He comes out with two bags, one for him and one for Scott, before kissing his boyfriend and heading out the door.

We follow silently behind him putting our things in the trunk and getting in the car. "Are you okay?" I ask Mitch and he nods. "You haven't said anything besides talking to Ben and Kevin. Are you sure you're okay?" I ask and he sighs. "I guess I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole situation. Nothing like this has ever happened." He says before starting the car and pulling out right before the police pull in.

"Like we've received our fair share of hate and disgust over us being gay, but nothing like this. They came into our home and made it unsafe. Maybe it wouldn't have bothered me so much if it was just me and Scott, but what if you were home? Then what? God I don't even want to think about that." Mitch says shaking his head and pulling into Kevin and Avi's driveway.

"Good thing we were all in the hospital then." I say and Mitch chuckles. "Yeah." He says before getting out the car. Kevin was outside waiting for us and pulls Mitch into the biggest hug. Jake and I get out and get the bags out the trunk. "Oh my goodness! Are you guys okay? James what happened to your arm?" He asks and we all sigh.

"Everyone's fine thank god. No one was home. We had to take James to the hospital because he hurt himself working out." Mitch says and i roll my eyes. "I wouldn't have been working out if Scott hadn't overreacted." I say and he sighs. "We're not doing this. I'm exhausted and shaken up and I just want to eat something and go to sleep." Mitch says and I roll my eyes.

Kevin leads us all inside before locking the door behind us. "Mitch your room is down here with Avi and James you and Jake are upstairs with me. I thought about putting you all on the same floor but it seems like there's tension and y'all need a break from each other." Kevin says and I sigh. "I just want to forget this whole day ever happened." I mumble and Avi comes out of his room.

"Are we having a sleepover?" He asks and Kevin sighs. "Someone broke into Mitch and Scott's so they're staying with us for the night." He explains and Avi's eyes go wide. "Are y'all okay? Where's Scott? Was anyone home? James what happened to your shoulder?" He asks and everyone sighs. "Can I go to bed please?" I ask Kevin and he gives me a warm smile. "Sure. Come on I'll show you to your room." He says and I thank him.

We all head up the stairs — Kevin, Jake and I — in silence. We reach the guest room and I thank him. "If you need anything I'm right next door. Feel free to ask." He says and I thank him again. He pulls me into a hug before smiling and walking out. I plop down on the bed and Jake follows suite. "I just wanna sleep. Lay with me?" I ask and he smiles. We both change before climbing under the covers and passing out. Both exhausted from the days activities.

************
Wow it's been a minute. This shits gonna get interesting. Who do you think it is? A deranged fan? An ex lover? Mr. Day? Stay tuned to find out.