Fifteen

Pretty soon, it was nearly time for the Christmas holidays to start. But this year, Emily and Evelynn would be apart. It was a cool Monday afternoon when Emily picked Evelynn up from school early. She had a flight back to England that night and Emily still hadn't told her.

Parking up at home the two walked inside, Evelynn knew something was wrong because of how silent her mother was.

"Sweetheart, I have a case for you,"

Evelynn looked at her.

"Your assignment is to," Emily swallowed her tears "Is to return to England to be the best big sister to your brother,"

Evelynn looked at Emily "What? I have to go back?"

"Not forever sweetheart, just until you're eighteen,"

"I don't want to go back mommy," Evelynn said openly crying.

Emily hugged her tightly and kissed the top of her head, "I know baby, but I need you to be a big sister to Sammy, he needs you,"

Evelynn pulled away and walked to her room tears falling. She walked into her room and began to sob as she packed. Emily, downstairs was no better. She would have to watch her daughter walk away from her for four whole years. For 1,460 days. Her heart was already breaking.

In her room, Evelynn cried for her friends that she would leave behind, her big brother whom she adored, her friends at dance, the BAU team that became like family and most of all her mother. The thought of it hurt her heart badly as she choked on a sob.

She picked up a picture of Emily, Mick and her and put it into her purse to keep it safe and with her always.

Emily calmed herself and went into her daughter's bedroom.

"All packed?"

Evelynn nodded putting Crumbles in her hand luggage.

Emily wrapped her arm around Evelynn and lead her back downstairs to have something to eat. Her flight wasn't until seven pm so they had a few hours to kill.

"I'm ordering chinese food okay?"

Evelynn nodded

"Sweetheart I know you don't want to go back but its out of my hands,"

"Its so close to Christmas,"

"I know, but I promise you, we will be together again,"

Evelynn just nodded, she was angry, not at Emily, but the Judge and John and Claudia. Why couldn't they have left well enough alone? She was finally happy! And now she'd be leaving.

"Mom?"

"What is it sweetheart?"

"Promise you wont marry Mick without me here?"

Evelynn looked at her mother who smiled gently.

"I promise, Mick and I haven't talk about that yet, besides I wouldn't do something that important without you here,"

Evelynn cuddled her mother and buried her head in her chest. Emily held her tight wishing this moment wouldn't come to an end.

Breaking the silence, was a knock on the door. Emily got up and opened it to reveal Mick with food bags in his hand.

"I come with Chinese food,"

Emily smiled a little and stepped aside, Mick put the food in the kitchen before looking at Emily.

"How'd she take it?"

"She's a mess," Emily looked out the kitchen doorway, tears threatening to fall.