The Great Game Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Belarus." Sherlock corrected. "Open and shut domestic murder. Not worth my time."

"Oh, shame." John said sarcastically. "Anything in? I'm starving."

Eve heard the sound of the fridge door opening.

"Oh..." John said, disgusted, before opening it again. "It's a head." He said disbelievingly to himself.

"So you've met Harold, then?" Evelyn called from her seat.

"A severed head!"

"Just tea for me thanks." Sherlock said blandly.

"No, there's a head in the fridge." John insisted.

"Yes?"

"A bloody head!" John snapped.

"Well, where else was I supposed to put it? You don't mind, do you?"

Eve got up and gently hit Sherlock with her book. "His name is Harold, not 'it.'"

He raised an eyebrow at her. "You're not the only one who gets bored, okay?" She replied defensively, going back to John's chair.

"Got it from Bart's Morgue. I'm measuring the coagulation of saliva after death." Sherlock explained to John.

"I read A Study in Pink. " Evelyn aid to John, who had come to sit in Sherlock's chair. "It was wonderful. Did you like it, Sherlock?" Eve asked conversationally.

The detective was flipping through a magazine. "Um...no." He said.

"Why not? I thought you'd be flattered." John was surprised. 

"Flattered?" Sherlock let the magazine fall. "'Sherlock sees through everyone and everything in seconds. What's incredible, though, is how spectacularly ignorant he is about some things.'"

"Now hang on a minute. I didn't mean that-" John protested.

"Oh! You meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a nice way. Look, it doesn't matter to me who's Prime Minister or who's sleeping with who." Sherlock said.

"Whether the earth goes round the sun." John added under his breath.

Sherlock threw his head to the side in exasperation. "Oh, God, that again. It's not important!" He insisted.

"Not important..." John leant forward in his seat. "It's primary school stuff! How can you not know that?"

"Well if I did, I've deleted it." Sherlock pressed the heels of his palms against his eyes.

"Deleted it?" Evelyn piped up.

"Listen," Sherlock sat up, his voice getting low and gravely in irritation. "This is my hard drive." He indicated his head. "I only put things in there that are useful. Really useful. Ordinary people fill their heads with all kinds of rubbish. That makes it hard to get at the stuff that matters. Do you see?"

Eve nodded. "I've certainly done that, but maybe not to such an extreme."

John looked between them for a moment before blurting out: "But it's the solar system!"

Sherlock held his head in his hands. Evelyn groaned.

"Oh hell!" Sherlock exclaimed. "What does that matter? So we go around the sun. If we went round the moon or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference!"

"Sherlock-" Eve sat up, hoping to calm him down a bit.

"All that matters to me is the work." He insisted. "Without that, my brain rots!" He ruffled his hair. "Put that in your blog. Or better still, stop inflicting your opinions on the world." With that, he turned around and lay down, ignoring his two friends.