Chapter Two

Chapter Two

     We changed back into humans when we got closer to the house.

     "Okay, so we all agree that those weren't regular animals, right?" Liam gasped, out of breath.

     "Totally," said Zem, who was doubled over, gasping for air.

     "Then what were they?" Aidan asked shakily.

     "Morphs?" I suggested. Liam, still gasping, shook his head,

     "Maybe. But I've never seen Morphs attack each other like that."

    "Neither have I," Aidan began, finally breathing steadily. "But those eyes. They were definitely Morph eyes." We all nodded.

      "We should tell Jasper at dinner." Zem said. "But first I have to change. I probably look awful." I laughed as she tied her long hair into a ponytail, We went inside and went to our rooms. I shut my door, went over to my bed, crouched down, and lifted my mattress. My fingers fumbled around under it until they found the thin, papery picture. I pulled it out and looked at it. It was wrinkled and faded and it had lost it's shine, but it was my prized possession. It had been taken on my tenth birthday, before my life was ripped out from under me.

      In the picture, my mom and dad stood with their arms around each other. My sister Alina and I stood in front of them in matching dresses, except hers was pink and mine was blue. I had shoved the picture in my dress pocket before the snatchers took me, and it was all I had left of my family. I was staring at it, tears in my eyes, when Zem walked in.

     "You miss them, don't you?" Zem questioned, sitting on the floor beside me.

     "Yeah," I sniffled, wiping my eyes. Suddenly, I realized that I'd never asked Zem about her family. "Don't you?"

    "Don't I what?" she asked, staring at me. She acted like she was clueless, but I knew from the look in her eyes that she already knew what I was talking about.

     "Miss your family," I stated simply. "You've never mentioned them." She swallowed hard and said,

     "I miss them like crazy. My mom and dad. My brothers and sisters. All of them."

     "All of them?" I questioned.

     "Four sisters and three brothers. I even had a twin. Her name was Layla, and she was my best friend. Her test was negative, I suppose." She looked close to tears, "We lived in a big house next to my aunt and uncle and cousins." I smiled and said,

     "Wow. How come you never told me? Or anyone?" She shrugged,

     "It makes me sad. I miss them so much. I've even considered leaving, running home, but I can't remember the address."

     "I get it. Talking about my family makes me sad, too." I said, trying not to cry.

     "Dinner!" Angles called up the stairs. We rushed down and ate quickly. Then, Liam said,

     "We saw three animals in the woods today. A weasel, a skunk, and a monkey."

     "Wrong." I interrupted. "We saw a wolverine, a honey badger, and a chimpanzee."

     "Same thing," Liam complained. "Anyway, they were fighting each other."

     "I don't see what the big deal is," Jasper said, finishing his food.

     "They were Morphs." Zem said quietly.

     "Impossible!" Jasper exclaimed. "Morphs don't fight each other."

     "Well they certainly had the eyes of Morphs." Aidan pointed out.

     "Wait, I'm confused," Angela said. "I thought Morphs were very docile around other morphs."

     "They are," Aidan said. "That's what I don't get. "

     "Bad Morphs?" I suggested.

     "No." Jasper shook his head. "Morphs, no matter what animal, are very good and gentle."

     "Not these, apparently." Liam said.

     "If you see them again, let me know." Jasper instructed. We all nodded and headed up to bed. We always went to bed early so we could get up for a 5 a.m hunt. I was just about to change into my pajamas when something moved outside my window. I began to walk towards my window, even though my gut told me not to. I swallowed hard and pulled back my curtain, only to find myself staring into the bright eyes of the wolverine.