The Power of the Raven

Yuki burst out of the metro exit at the speed of light, his backpack swinging behind him like a leaf in the wind, the busy streets of Tokyo passing behind him in a blur. Yuki was on his way to dinner and he knew he had a small chance of being on time if he hurried. Yuki pushed himself to seventh street and just barely missed hitting some tourists pointing at a building. Yuki finally arrived at his families modest apartment door. #237 was printed onto the door in big gold numbers. Before letting his brain wander off, Yuki reached into his black skinny jeans' pocket and stumbled for his key. After finally locating it and yanking it out, Yuki thrust the key into the apartment door and walked into the apartment.

"You're late", Yuki's mother exclaimed.

"Sorry. I was just at the library."

"You and that library! When are you going to go outside and do something?" Mom said. Ever since Yuki could remember, he was different. Not just because he liked books more than people and he only has one friend, but because Yuki had 2 immense scars on his back. These scars he was told he was born with. He looked like he had been a prisoner of war, and the other kids often teased him about it. Especially on swim days. The rest of the dinner passes by quickly with the usual dinner conversations with Yuki's parents. Then Yuki took a shower, and went to bed.

     The next day past by normally, but when Yuki was coming home from school, outside his apartment building there was a police car. Yuki was a bit surprised but the thought passed as quickly as it came. Yuki decided to visit the flower shop across the street to get his mom some flowers. As soon as Yuki paid for the flowers, Yuki went up to his apartment. When he arrived, a police officer was outside his apartment."Are you Yuki Yamamoto?" the police officer questioned.

"Yes" Yuki stammered nervously.

"I'm very sorry to inform you that there has been a terrible accident with your parents in it." Yuki shook with horror.

"No!" Yuki shouted. "This can't be happening."

"Yuki," the officer said, "Your parents are.." Before he could finish, Yuki fleed the hallway and ran straight out of the building into the busy city street, reality rushing to him every second. Cars beeped and swerved out of the way, as Yuki stood in the middle of the road crying, not caring about anything, least of all his life. Suddenly, a car stopped and an old woman came out. Yuki realized that that person was his Sobo (grandmother).

"Yuki, get in the car" Sobo stated firmly.

Yuki and Sobo rode in silence as they traveled their way to Sobo's estate, just outside Tokyo. As they arrived, Yuki stared in awe due to the fact that he forgot how immense and beautiful Sobo's estate was. Golden lights lined the roof and shone like twinkling stars. As they walked through the door, Sobo instructed Yuki to sit at a dinner table in another room. Sobo exited the room and soon returned with a platter of sushi and 2 pairs of chopsticks. After she sat down, Sobo said "So, we have a lot to talk about."Before Yuki could respond Sobo said, "When your mother was little, she use to sit in that chair." Sobo pointed at the chair Yuki was sitting in. The rest of the dinner passed by slowly, as no verbal conversation was made. After dinner, Sobo instructed Yuki with few words about his sleeping arrangements. Shortly after stumbling around the mansion trying to find his room, Yuki found it and hazily walked to the bed and tumbled in. All Yuki could think about was his parents warm smile and soft eyes. Crying, Yuki finally fell asleep.

Yuki woke up with a jolt, forgetting where he was and what had happened. Realisation flooded to him as he woke up more. After several hours of trying to fall back asleep, Yuki finally gave up and tumbled out of bed. Walking out the door, Yuki hoped to come across the kitchen. Still in the previous nights clothes, Yuki came across a room with a giant statue of a raven. Wondering inside, Yuki was shocked to find how beautifully carved it was. Suddenly, hearing a breath that wasn't his own, Yuki twirled around to find Sobo behind him in the doorframe.