Chapter Five

“O-oh my gosh, I’m sorry,” Amber covered her eyes, a slight blush appearing on her cheeks. Xander quickly pulled his tank top back over his head, covering his bandaged chest. “I-it’s fine. You can look now,” Xander said, standing up.

“You sure?” “Yes, I’m positive I’ve put my shirt back on,” Amber uncovered her eyes, shaking her head.

“Anyways, Xander… I need to apologise,” Amber stepped closer to Xander. “I’m… sorry for insulting your family. And trying to fight you. I shouldn’t have taken my anger out on you,”

Xander, in shock, remained silent. He stared at Amber for a moment, searching her for sincerity. When he found that she was telling the truth, he sighed.

“I guess I should apologise too. I’m sorry… for attacking you. I lost my temper. I have no excuse for doing that, and I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me,” Xander spoke quietly, looking Amber in the eyes throughout his apology.

Amber gave Xander a small smile, reaching her hand out for him to shake. “Do you think we can be friends?” Xander smiled back, shaking Amber’s hand. “I’d love to,”

“Race you back to the speeder?” Amber smirked. “You're on,” and with that, the two burst off out of the oasis, laughing and giggling.

---

“So the kids finally made up?” Rey asked Leia as they watched Xander and Amber play fight in the next room over. They both wielded large wooden sticks that they picked up on the way back to the base from the oasis. Xander was teaching Amber proper lightsaber techniques, then practice fighting, all while laughing together.

“Yes. I’m glad that they’re happy,” Leia smiled, glancing up at the clock on the wall and stepping into the room. “Alright kids, it’s lunch time, put the sticks down,”

“Aw, but I was just about to teach her something cool,” Xander whined. “You can finish teaching Amber after lunch. Don’t you want ice cream?” Leia asked. “Ice cream!” Xander and Amber shouted in sync, immediately dropping the sticks and bursting off to the small mess hall. Rey and Leia followed behind them, laughing quietly at their excitement.

Once they arrived at the mess hall, the kids were already sitting in the chairs while repeatedly chanting “Pound on the table! Shout really loudly!”

The few people around them laughed at the kids behavior as they all ate their food. “You know, I don't think I've seen everyone this happy before,” Leia commented, grabbing some food for Amber and Xander, along with two small bowls of ice cream.

“You think it's because of the kids?” Rey asked, smiling at the two thirteen year olds as they continued to chant. “I do. They really seem to be lightening the mood,” Leia smiled as well, walking over to the two and handing them their food.

“Thank you, grandma!” Xander grinned, quickly shoving a spoonful of ice cream into his mouth. “Thank you, grand- I mean General Leia,” Amber corrected herself, then began to eat. “You’re welcome, kids. You two enjoy your food,” Leia said, stepping back over to where Rey was standing.

“So… when do you think they’re gonna come get him? The First Order, that is,” Rey spoke in a quiet tone, so that the kids couldn’t hear her.

“Within the next couple of days, probably. I’m sure they’ve already noticed that he’s gone. It won’t be long until they find out where he is, considering they’ve put a tracking device on him,” Leia sighed. “They have?” Rey asked. “Yes, Poe noticed it when he and Finn were bringing him here,”

“They really do care about him, don't they?” Rey glanced over at Xander, who was laughing at a joke that Amber had told him.

“They'll do whatever it takes to get him back. But it's up to Xander to decide whether he wants to go back,” Leia looked over at the kids as well.

“What do you mean? Won't he be more than eager to be with his parents again?”

“I think he’ll be stuck. He’s taken a liking to Amber, and when they come to get him, it will be hard for him to say goodbye,” Leia looked back at Rey, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“Please watch over both of them. I want Xander to have more than one friend in his life, even if it's only for a few days,”

Rey nodded with a small smile. “I will,”