prologue

“Mahal kita, Matthew.  I didn’t think it was possible to love someone so much and so quickly, but I do,” I said, gazing up at him. “Sa maikling panahon na nakasama kita, nahulog na agad ang loob ko sayo. I love being with you. I love it more than anything in the world.”

He smiled again and brought me closer, his hips pressing against me. “I know you do, and I enjoy being with you too. Now, baby, tell me what you were so intent on telling me when I came in the door. Nasa iyo na ang tenga ko—is that how you say it in tagalong, hmmm?” he grinned.

I took a deep breath at kahit kinakabahan ako, I announced badly,“Matthew, buntis ako.”

He released me so abruptly, muntik na akong matumba sa malaking marble statue malapit sakin. I faced him, my one hand holding the statue for support, my stomach feeling like it was going to drop down. Nanginginig ang mga tuhod ko.

His expression was thunderous with anger. Biglang nawala ang malamya niyang mga tingin kanina. Kung nakakakamatay lang ang tingin, matagal na akong nawalan ng buhay.

“FvCK YOU KATHY!” His words were laced with venom. “PUT@NG IN@!!!

Although I had expected him to be surprised, and maybe a little angry, hindi ko inaasahan ang mga murang ibinato niya sakin.

“You tried to trick me into asking you to marry me”, he went on in the same cold, hard tone. “YOU DID NOT JUST WANT MY MONEY IN EXCHANGE FOR A LITTLE AFFAIR---YOU WANTED EVERYTHING, DID YOU NOT?”

“Matthew-----“ hindi ko na napigilan ang paghikbi ko, “Why are you carrying on like this? Sinabi mong mahalaga ako sayo. I---“ I flinched away as he stabbed the statue beside me.

He stepped closer, “You are a deceitful, money-hungry cheat. You are a filthy slut, a filthy whore.”

I pulled away against his iron hold. “Ano bang sinasabi mo Matthew? Nasasaktan na ako. Please, stop saying horrible things to me.”

“I know what I’m saying! Marc told me that you slept with him. Noong una hindi ako naniwala dahil alam kong virgin ka noong gabing may nangyari sa atin pero he showed me pictures at ngayon you’re saying that you’re pregnant with my child because Marc can’t provide for your needs!”

I stood frozen. “Don’t say things like that, Matthew. Hindi totoo ang sinabi ni Marc. Kaya kong patunayan sayo, you can have a DNA test as soon as possible,” I said, my heart squeezing in pain. “You know I’m not like that.”

Tumawa siya na puno ng pang-uuyam. “You open your legs for me within three days of meeting me, but now of course I know why. You were looking for a father for your illegitimate child. You got caught out, at naghahanap ka ng ama sa batang bunga ng kalandian mo! And you picked me, a knight dressed in Armani?”

Hindi ako makapaniwala sa mga narinig ko. Hindi ako sanay sa galit na Matthew. I never had seen him lose his temper. He had never spoken to me so roughly. Paano ko siya kakausapin sa ganitong sitwasyon? How can I defend myself? Natatakot ako. The man I had given my heart and soul to have suddenly changed into someone entirely.

“Get your things at umalis ka na sa bahay ko,” he bit out. “I will give you ten minutes.”

“You don’t mean that, Matthew.” I said, nanghihina na ang buong katawan ko.

“You cannot possibly be carrying my child,” he said, with a cruel glare.

Lumapit ako sa kay Matthew at hinawakan ko ang mukha niya, “But of course it’s yours, Matt. I’ve only been with you.”

Mabilis niyang inalis ang kamay ko. “You are lying!” He shouted the words so loudly they bounce off the walls.

Hindi ko na alam kung saan ba ako naiiyak, kung sa sakit ba o sa galit. “Matt, you’re not making sense. We’ve made love hundreds of times, a lot of times without protection. At alam mong ikaw ang una.”

His sneer tuned to a snarl. “I have heard of such ploys before. At ano kung ako nga ang nauna sa iyo? I don’t even know what you are doing when I’m in the office. Baka nagpupunta ka sa apartment ng Marc na iyon and asked him to fvck you!”

“I’ll have a test done to prove it,” I said after I slapped him. “Then you’ll have to believe me.”

His eyes raked over from my head to foot. “I have all the proof that I need. Now get out of my life!”