Chapter Eleven

Never Ever | The Rubens
_________

A good hour later, Ross and I are situated in the bathroom at my house. Despite Ross throwing the first punch earlier, Cooper definitely beat him. Cooper really pelted into Ross. He showed no remorse, no mercy.

"You'll regret doing that," Cooper seethes, swiping a thumb across his jawline as he stands up straight.

"Like hell I will." Ross replies, throwing another punch his way. Cooper catches his fist, stepping dangerously close to Ross. I clutch onto Dillon's sleeve as Cooper's jaw clenches.

"Yes." Cooper says. "You will." And just like that, Cooper begins laying into him, throwing punches left and right. I still don't understand why it happened, but now isn't the right time to ask. Now is the time where I have to patch this idiot up.

"You're not going to question me?" Ross whispers as I dab a damp cloth over a cut on his eyebrow. I seize my actions, letting out a sigh as I lower my hand.

"I want to, but I feel like I shouldn't." I speak in a low voice. Conveniently, Greg and Anna are home and sleeping. In the middle of the day. How freaking nice. So we have to be as quiet as we can. We wouldn't want to wake up the king and queen now would we?

"If I'm honest, I don't think I'd be able to explain it even if you did ask." Ross sighs, letting his head fall. I place the cloth on the bathroom counter, placing my hands on either side of his face. Raising his face, I stare into his eyes with a frown.

"It's okay, I don't mind. It only just happened. I'll give you some time to figure out how to explain...everything, I guess." I smile weakly at him, leaning forward and pressing my lips to his forehead. He smiles back at me, placing his hand over the top of mine gently.

"Do you realise that this is the second day that you've skipped school?" Ross blurts out. I ponder over his statement for a short while until I come to a conclusion; I don't really care. Yesterday I was hit in the head with a freaking football so the group took me away from school to fix me up, and then they took me to Willy's but let's not talk about that. And today, Ross and Cooper got into a fight and I took Ross home to patch him up. For both days, I've had reasonable excuses.

"I don't care," I mutter, picking up the cloth once again. "What matters right now is getting you cleaned up." I go back to dabbing his wounds, which consists of a few cuts a bruises. Nothing too serious. Ross stares at me while I fix him up and I wriggle under his stare. He's the first person to look at me like that. Like I'm the only person in the room. Like I'm some sort of celebrity. Like I'm everything to him. And that makes me both happy and scared. Happy because someone is looking at me in that way, and scared because of what this will lead to. Hopefully it won't lead to us turning our backs on each other and walking away as if we were just two strangers standing in line at a grocery store who were fighting over which person should get the last chocolate bar in the plastic shelve above the cashier conveyer belt. Now that's a scary thought.

"You're really beautiful, you know." Ross whispers to me. I feel a sudden desa vu as my hand comes to a stop. I keep my eyes locked on his and the tension in the room suddenly rises. My heart begins to race uncontrollably as Ross pulls me closer towards him so that I'm standing between his legs as he's seated on the closed toilet.

"Don't say that," I mumble quietly, averting my eyes away from him, only to have him hook a finger under my chin and make me look at his face again. His gorgeous, heavenly face.

"Why not?" He tilts his head to the side a bit. "I'm not lying."

"Yes you are." I mumble. Ross chuckles, making me furrow my eyebrows together.