Chapter Three

Wildest Dreams | Taylor Swift
__________

"Laura, wait up."

How many times has he told me to wait up now? You know what the odd thing is? I actually do. I stop and I wait for him to catch up to me. I don't know why, but my legs just sort of seize on their own.

"Thank you," he says to me when he stands in front of me. I nod. "I didn't mean to say that back there."

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Of course."

"What?"

"Why would you want to?" I laugh sarcastically. "Why would anybody want to actually kiss me? I'm a freak, as people clearly state." I look around and notice the obvious odd looks people are giving me.

"What do you-"

"Why are you trying to be friends with me?" I ask him before he can say anything more. He stares at me for a few seconds before shaking his head and looking around at the people staring.

"What are you looking at? We're talking here." He snaps at them and I flinch. "Piss off!" The students obey him and I find myself staring down at my suddenly interesting shoes.

"Laura," he whispers and I look up at him. "I'm trying to be friends with you because I know what it's like to feel like you have nobody and I also know what it's like to physically have nobody." I gulp. "So please, just let me show you how friends would act, okay?" I hesitate for a moment before nodding slowly. He smiles. "Great!"

"What does this mean?" I ask softly.

He claps his hands together, "Let's get started." He ignored my question.

Blondie grabs ahold of my hand and he pulls me down the corridor. "I don't even know your name," I mutter.

He smiles down at me. "It's Ross."

Ross, huh? That's an odd name, but it suits him so well. Probably because he's odd.

"Okay, so let's start off with the basics."

"Which is?"

"Proper introductions. You know, as if we just met and we want to be friends."

"Do we?"

"Huh?" He raises an eyebrow at me.

"Do we want to be friends?"

"You cut me deep," he places a hand over his chest. "Of course we do!" I nod at him. He stops walking and let's go of me, turning to face me and smiling. "Hi, I'm Ross."

"This is stupid." I deadpan.

"Come on, it's not stupid. You can do it." He encourages.

I sigh. "Hi, I'm Laura."

"See? It wasn't that hard."

"What was the point in that?" I ask.

"Don't be such a grouch." He bumps my shoulder with his and I roll my eyes at him. "Let's be friends."

"We'll see." I say. He groans.

"That's not how it goes."

"Then how does it go?"

"I say Lets be friends, and then you reply with Okay." He smiles at me.

I pull a face at him and shake my head. "I doubt anybody becomes friends like that. We're not in the first grade, Ross." He grins wildly at me. "What's that face for?"

"I like when you say my name." My face heats up and I look down at the ground. "It's cute."

"How is saying your name cute?"