xi; dancing with the devil

mind over matter

HOLLY JOLLY PART FOUR: DANCING WITH THE DEVIL

PREVIOUSLY...

"I-" Rebecca croaked and shook her head. In the back of her mind she knew he was telling the truth, that was the whole point of coming to Hawkin's labs. To get answers. But she didn't want to believe him, "No, no, there's no way."

"The Byers boy, you've seen him haven't you? And the girl..." he trailed off, "What was her name...."

"Barbara." Rebecca whispered as she remembered the vivid dream she had the other night. Suddenly, her face was overcome by pure confusion, replacing the previous fear evident in her eyes.

"H-How do you know all of this?" She looked up at him seriously, "The only way that you would know is if..."

Rebecca's speech trailed off as the door clicked open again, revealing an awfully too familiar face. She sat there speechless as they walked in, even more terrified than when the first man walked in. She couldn't breathe as the man walked closer and she could see his face clearer than day.

"Hello, Rebecca. I've been waiting to have this conversation with you for a long time now." The man spoke as Rebecca choked on her words.

"Doctor Evans?"

▲▲▲

REBECCA COULDN'T BELIEVE HER EARS. Everything that she thought was a figment of her imagination - or everything she hoped was just a figment of imagination, was real. Every bit of it, the uneasy pit in her stomach, the ever growing darkness she felt, the dreams, the hallucinations, it was all real.

It wasn't that she was crazy, she was actually seeing things, real things, just not in this world kind of things and she was still trying to wrap her head around it. But all she could feel was an overwhelming sense of anger and confusion at the two men in front of her.

"I need you to work with me, Rebecca. We're trying to help you." Doctor Brenner leaned forward in the chair opposite from Rebecca, trying to convince her what they were doing was important.

"Help me? That's rich because from what you just told me," Rebecca scoffed and shrugged her head towards Evans, "You told him to give me drugs, drugs that would give me abilities or enhance them or whatever that shit you were talking about. Without my consent. How do I know I can trust you?" She asked with a slight wavering in her voice.

"Yes," Brenner sighed, pursing his lips together and leaned back in his chair, "I know it's hard to believe, it's hard to trust."

"Yeah, it's hard to trust, no shit sherlock. Imagine being a lab experiment without even knowing. I thought I was going crazy, that I was going insane." Rebecca's voice grew louder as she leaned as far forward as the cuffs around her wrists would let her.