viii; phone calls

mind over matter 

HOLLY JOLLY PART ONE: PHONE CALLS

PREVIOUSLY...

Hopper quickly strode towards her and gripped his hands on her shoulders, "Rebecca, what happened?" he asked, concerned, his eyes wide, but she didn't answer, only shaking her head back and forth.

Tears threatened to pour from her eyes as she finally regained somewhat of a control over her breathing, she shrugged her father's hands off of her and leaned her back against the wall, the tears spilling over her eyes, "It was just a dream, It was just a dream," she repeated quietly, her voice trembling as she slid her back down the wall and sat on the floor, her hands pressing the sides of her throbbing head.

It didn't feel like a dream.

"It was just a dream, It was just a dream." She continued to repeat as she felt her father's hand on her shoulder again, "Rebecca?" His voiced asked again nervously as he crouched down to sit on the floor next to her.

Rebecca turned to face his concerned expression and suddenly she pulled him into a hug, wrapping her arms tightly around his shoulders. Hopper was taken aback and hesitant first but eventually wrapped his arms around her, "It's ok, It's ok." he told her, tightening his grip around her.

"You're ok, You're safe." He said again, pressing his lips to the top of her head as she cried into his shoulder, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

▲▲▲

REBECCA WRAPPED HER FLANNEL tighter around her small frame, her hands balling into fists, holding desperately onto the fabric almost as if she would crumble if she let go. She sat at the edge of the bed, her legs dangling off the edge and her bare feet grazing the cold wood floor, almost matching the frigidness that danced across her skin. Her eyes were closed, as she faced towards the wall of the room.

It had been roughly five hours since Rebecca woke up screaming, her nightmare too terrifying to be able to distinguish what was real. She remembered every little detail up until the point that Hopper had burst into the room at the unexpected and reverberating scream that came from Rebecca's lips.

After that, it was blurry, she vaguely remembered her father trying to comfort her, him trying desperately to figure out was wrong but all Rebecca could repeat was "it was just a dream" which only made Hopper more uneasy. There wasn't much that he could do, and Rebecca didn't blame him for not knowing what to do.

When she had seemed to calm down, she had convinced Hopper to go back to sleep, but he only left the room and closed the door to sit down on the ground, leaning up against the wall, not leaving Rebecca's door.