Deep Breath ― II

Start from the beginning

Strax nodded in agreement. "And by bringing it here, they will be lured from the dangers of London to this place of safety, and we will melt them with acid."

Both girls blinked, and Sky looked over and down at Strax with an eyebrow raised.

Clara tilted her head. "Repeat that last part, will you, Strax?"

He paused. "And we will not melt them with acid." He corrected. "Old habits." He held up a newspaper. "The Times. Shall I send it up?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"Hah!" Strax then threw the newspaper to Clara, Marguerite not being fast enough and her and Sky watching with wide eyes as the newspaper hit Clara in the head, making her fall backwards.

***

Lucas sat on the side of the bed in the spare bedroom he had slept in as he worked on buttoning the last couple of buttons on the Victorian waistcoat that was provided for him. He still never got used to this. He was a History teacher. And here he was, in the 1890s in freaking Victorian London.

Lucas just shook his head, smiling to himself slightly just before there was a knock on his door. "Come in!" He called, buttoning the last button as he stood up from the bed.

"Thought you might like some tea." Jupiter said as she opened the door and entered the room with a tray in her hands, now dressed in a black and crimson casual Victorian gown with her red hair pinned up atop her head, a loose curl hanging down on either side of her face. "And a biscuit or two."

"Thank you." Lucas smiled at her as she set the tray down on the small table over by the window.

"No problem." Jupiter smiled back as she stood up straight again. "I have to go have a few words with my brother now, but feel free to find me if you need anything else."

"I will." He nodded, smiling slightly as he watched her go back out of the room and shut the door behind her, not seeing the smile drop from Lucas's face as he let out a sigh.

***

"So, how exactly are you feeling, Clara?" Marguerite enquired as she was pinning Clara's hair up for her, said woman sitting at a vanity.

"As well as you can expect, I suppose." Clara shrugged. "It's just that this whole thing is so... much. So much to deal with."

Marguerite nodded slightly, pursing her lips in thought as she worked on putting the last few pins in Clara's hair. "Did the time twins not speak with you and Lucas last night about all of that?"

"Please, let's not revisit that conversation." Clara sighed, avoiding eye contact with Marguerite, said human-genie not saying anything in response and just smirking internally. Oh, she had a feeling Clara would get a grasp on this sooner or later.

***

"Any idea where they could've gone?" Jupiter asked as she entered the study, seeing her brother sitting behind the large wooden desk as he looked through an old book.

"I didn't see any sign of them while I was out with Strax." Sky answered, looking up as his sister moved to sit across from him. "They'll turn up, though. They always do."

"I know they will." Jupiter nodded, crossing her arms as she leaned back in her seat. "Still, it is a bit nerve wracking."

"Understatement, sister dear." Sky muttered, looking back down at the book he was reading. "It's all brand new, especially for Mum, and they're out there alone."

"There has to be some sign, though." Jupiter shook her head as she thought out loud. "I mean, if you really think about it, don't you feel like they'd send some sort of message?"