Chapter Twenty-Six

Começar do início

"I still don't know why Alex has been acting like he has," Roxy commented. "Why did he think that he had to start being so stupid just because he is some magical creature now?"

"That's a story for him to tell you," Carter told her, pulling away slightly. "Do you want to come to the airport tomorrow? Archer asked for Alex and I to meet him there before their flight."

Roxy shook her head, that sadness in her eyes back at full force. "I don't think I can see him, can," she paused for a moment, collecting her thoughts, "can you just tell Cole that I don't hate him for what he did, I understand it. Can you tell him goodbye?"

"Yeah, I can do that." Carter nodded.

"I should go home, my parents are expecting me to be home for dinner," she told him standing up from the bed.

Carter wondered if she was really alright with everything. It must have been such a shock to her, and Carter wanted her to know that he was there for her. It wasn't like she looked like she was on the verge of a mental breakdown or anything, but still, Carter would always worry about his friend. He didn't want her to feel alone right now, and he wondered if because he and Alex were back together if that would cause Roxy to feel like she didn't have her friends support.

"You're okay, right?" Carter asked hesitantly, "Just because Alex and I are back together, this doesn't change anything between us, right?"

"Yeah," she nodded and he saw that resilient look in her eyes and instantly believed her. "I'll be okay, and I know that you will always be there for me, don't worry."

Roxy walked out of the room and Carter breathed a sigh of relief. He could finally believe that things were going to be alright. Suddenly, Carter would hear light footsteps heading towards his room and then Lara came bounding in through the doorway, a giant smile on her young face.

"What happened?" He asked in mock surprise. "Have scientists invented a new shade of pink?"

Lara completely ignored her brother's joke, and just kept smiling that giant smile as she spoke. "I don't know what you did to Alex, but you are incredible!"

He didn't even have enough time to clarify what she was talking about before she bounded into an explanation. "Jayden just texted me that he and Alex were playing video games together, do you even understand how great that is?"

Carter smiled. He smiled because he knew that Alex had taken his advice and was finally fixing things with his family. "That's fantastic," Carter told his sister, patting the space on the bed next to him.

Lara sat down next to her brother. "You don't even know how much Jayden missed his brother these past months, and I know that he must have had some reason, but maybe this is the start of Alex really coming back."

"Yeah, I think it is."

"Can you tell me why he has been the way he has?" Lara asked, and Carter could see that quiet, untainted innocence in his little sisters eyes that reminded him why Alex really did act the way that he had. If Carter had to pull away from his sister just to protect her, he knew that he would do it. He understood just a little bit more in that moment why Alex had done that to his brother, but he also knew why Alex had done that to him. Carter felt a little flutter in his chest at the thought, Alex loved him so much that he had sacrificed his own happiness.

Carter shook his head. "I can't, but it's almost over now, and I promise you that after tomorrow, things are going to go back to how they were."

"Really?"

"Really," Carter confirmed.

Lara got a cheeky grin on her face. "So does that mean that you and Alex can take Jayden and I to the fair tomorrow night?"