Chapter Seventeen

Carter stood at his sister's door, a gobsmacked look on his face.

"What's wrong with you, are you having a stroke?" his sister asked, clearly annoyed with her brother for just standing in her doorway in awe. She sat on her pink duvet, her phone in her hands, and from the annoyed look on her face, Carter must have interrupted her texting session with someone.

"I can't believe it. Has the sky fallen? Are we all dying?" he exclaimed, taking an overly exaggerated careful step into the room, with his arms out like he was preparing to face danger.

Lara rolled her eyes. "How much speed did you take this morning?"

"That's beside the point," he joked with a wink, taking another step into the room. "It's clean. I can see the floor! Coming into your room is no longer a biochemical hazard!" he exclaimed with wide eyes.

She threw a pillow at him, and Carter laughed as he caught it.

"Stop acting like me cleaning my room is some predictor for the end of the world."

"Are you dying and you never told me?" he asked in an exaggerated tone. "Ohmygosh am I dying and you never told me?"

"Shut up!" she laughed, throwing a second pillow at her brother's face. He caught the second one as well.  "If you must know, Jayden is going to be here any second."

"That boy is changing you for the better." Carter smiled as he looked around her room. Everything seemed to be clean and in order, even the make-up on her side table was neatly arranged into lines.

"Go away," she told him as she continued to text on her phone.

He conceded. "Okay, okay, only so I can go tell our mother about this."

Lara rolled her eyes and waved her brother out of the room.

Carter found his mother at the kitchen bench, a large cup of steaming coffee in one hand and a book in the other. He sat down next to her. "Don't freak out, but your daughter's room is clean."

She laughed. "I am aware, I almost had a heart attack when I saw it."

"I'm not surprised." Carter smiled as he sneakily stole a sip of coffee from his mother's cup.

"Hey!" she scowled, pulling the cup away from her son. "While I was recovering from my shock of your sister's clean room, she happened to tell me that you were going on a date tonight."

She had kept her tone casual, but Carter could tell that his mother wasn't too sure about the date, like she was scared that one night out would lead to some ugly break-up which he would never recover from. He didn't blame his mother.

"Yeah, Archer, a new student at school."

"That's great honey," she said, sipping at her coffee.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Is there something you wanted to say? You seem not exactly happy about this?"

His mother shook her head. "I just want to make sure you aren't jumping into a relationship faster than you are ready for."

"It's just dinner, Mom," he told her and his mother seemed to visually relax.

"I know honey, I hope you have a good time." This time she seemed actually happy for him. "Your sister asked me if she was allowed to chaperone your date, since you got to chaperone hers."

Carter groaned. "Please tell me that you slapped that idea out of her."

"Don't worry," she laughed quietly, "I definitely told her no."