Chapter Eight Different Strokes

Quick Note: I know AGAIN, two week wait. =/ Sorry! I got my financial aid on my birthday. I've been busy. But I think you who are interested in this book will love this chapter and scream at the end. Luckily for you readers, I have part of the next chapter written as well so it won't be too much of a wait hanging from that cliff. *winks* << I am cheesy as fuck! The song is 'All Around Me' by Flyleaf the acoustic version.  The dedication is to my friend Mrs. Boggs for her awesome version of my cover which is now the cover you see here for Promiscuous! Enjoy! *wiggles fingers* Peace Out Yo!

*

I felt like a fool. No one had returned my calls. It was mortifying, leaving an apology on voice mail for Bradley for many reasons… but I was genuinely sorry for the way I treated him. I couldn’t blame it on everything else that was going on and current events. Sure they played a role, its just it was making my judgment clouded and my behavior unruly.

Even Danny didn’t seem to want to be around me much – except for work. I was too cowardly to call Shane…. Just thinking about that made me feel guilty all over again for the way I have treated those in my life recently.

My head banged against the desk. The cool metal soothed the headache that was starting. At work and I still couldn’t concentrate on anything work related. My feelings for Shane hindered me, yet I welcomed them all the same.

I looked down at the new information Danny had dug up a week ago on Shane’s background. Why would Erin’s father pay for all his medical bills so long ago? It obviously was part of what was going on today, but what? Where was the connection?

I knocked on the wall behind me that connected to Danny’s office.

“Come on over, dear,” Danny sang out mockingly. I still snorted amused as I stood up to leave my office.

“Do you think he is marrying Erin to pay this debt back?”

Danny continued typing as he spoke. “No, too simple. There is some deeper reason. A plan within a plan. Why hire a P.I. to watch him if he is trusted in the first place for someone to pay all those medical bills?”

“Right… What was the Senators motivation then and why is he involved now if it was just medical… Shane has said Erin is his best friend and he doesn’t elaborate on it.” I sank into the seat across from his desk thoughtfully.

“Shane isn’t cheating….” I muttered, “She is.”

I stared at the carpet consumed with trying to fix the puzzle pieces in the correct places. Some information was missing. I needed to find out more. That meant I needed to spend more time with Shane. Jesus, this was getting complicated.

“If she is why hire a P.I. falsely accusing Shane?”

“Misdirection maybe? No, I think Shane knows what’s going on. Might even have willingly,” I said speaking my thoughts out loud.

“Interesting, but too late in the day for all that thinking for me.” Danny rubbed at his temples sitting back.

I nodded smiling and retreated back to my office and began to clean up. Maybe I was reading too much into this. Because of the way I felt for Shane I could be conjuring up ridiculous theories. Although, now that I think about it… I was the only woman I have known him to be around when not with Erin.

His sister didn’t count. His mother was dead and estranged from his father as I was.

The thought brought me back to the professional aspect of why Shane was in my life. Why get married still? Why is daddy involved? Erin seems to be the problem here, not Shane.