Chapter 3

⌲  

 ⌲  

Peter

I wasn't expecting something so terrible to happen so quickly, but it gets worse. So much worse. 

I also wasn't expecting to freeze up, but I really freeze up.

I'm terrified.

The last time I dealt with men with guns, was in an alley with two victims I didn't know. This time, I'm surrounded by people I've known for years; people I actually care about. These people are now the victim, and I'm to be their savior. Having to be responsible for the ones you care about is a lot more intimidating than people who don't even know you.

They may know Peter, but they don't know Spider-man. Spider-man doesn't let people die. 

The thought comes with a surprising amount of force. I'm right. 

Spider-man wouldn't let any of these kids die. Spider-man doesn't hesitate, so what am I doing? I couldn't be Peter the Disappointment. Right now, I have to get my head into gear and be the hero nearly everyone I have ever laughed or conversed with, needs. I have to save them. Who else will be stupid enough to do it?

Only a few seconds have gone by, and already, I've gone into action mode. Everyone else goes into panic mode. Screeching chairs and desks are pushed, and each kid does something different. Some Juniors have managed to crowd into the supply closet in the back of the classroom; others help our teacher lock doors and cover the glass windows that lead into the hall. 

More gunshots.

You should have known your instincts were right. When are they wrong?

My heart is pounding. Ned successfully manages to drag a fainting freshman into the corner of the room where the closet is. I grab my bag and help drag another classmate to the back. I watch as my teacher calmly begins to shush everyone, and herds the rest of the students even closer together into that closet. They fit as many as they can, but if one of the shooters came in, they would practically be unprotected.

As all this goes on, I'm slowly inching to the door. Everyone is too panicked to notice me slip out, or as Ned covers for me and locks it as I slip away. Now I'm out in the hall.

This is a mistake. A really bad mistake.

I don't have my suit on. I don't have coverage. I don't even have something to hide behind. I am in the open. Meanwhile, men with guns prowl the halls of my school; the exact hall I am in, to be exact. Two men stand at the open entrance of one of the classrooms down the hall. They're not paying attention to me, thank God. 

I'm quick on my feet after I get over the shock that I could be shot at any given moment. I'm running into the nearest janitors closet before anyone can notice the sixteen-year-old, sprinting down the halls. As I reach the closet, I blanch at the realization that those two men were standing in the entrance of MJ's first-period class. I have watched her walk into that classroom time and time again; every single morning.