After a few steps, Naina said: Sameer, final product pakka Ester hoga par hume result record karne ke liye ek aur confirmatory test karna padega. Ismein acetic acid daalenge aur agar iss compound mein ethyl alcohol hai toh ethyl acetate banega aur ester ki sweet smell aayegi. Abhi yeh dilute mixture hai isliye, alcohol ki smell nahi aa rahi hai.
Par hamare table par acetic acid nahi hai, attendant se issue karna padega aur dilute karna padega.

She explained to him the calculation and reaction.

He nodded and said: Main leke aata hoon.

Sameer to lab attendant: Uncle, acetic acid chahiye.

The lab attendant forwarded a register to him to sign and pointed out a rack where all acids were kept and instructed to pick up the first bottle. What he failed to realize was that few minutes ago, another attendant had taken the acetic acid bottle to refill it and now was lying a sulfuric acid bottle at the first position.

Sameer didn't realize that he picked up the wrong one and went back to his bench. He saw Naina busy in tabulating the results, so he decided to carry out the last step as per her directions and complete the experiment. Before the final reaction, he was to dilute the acid with water. He picked up a test tube and added the measured amount of acid and was about to measure the water and add to it, when Naina smelled the fumes. She was surprised why was she smelling sulfuric acid on her table although quite faint.

She turned around and her eyes widened in horror, the slight fumes were coming out of the test tube in Sameer's hand and then her sight fell on the bottle on the bench, it was a clear glass bottle, holding sulfuric acid rather than amber, which is used for storing acetic acid. A second later she realized that he had added water to acid and the tube was boiling. She ran to him and was about to push the tube out of his hand when it spurted and blasted and crashed on the table with drops of the acid splashing on her hand that covered Sameer's face. She let out an ear-piercing scream. The lab came to a stand still and Sameer was shocked, while she collapsed on the ground by his foot, clutching her hand.

The next few minutes were a whirlwind of activity as Naina was immediately rushed to the school's sick room for initial medical aid, Rakesh sir was summoned, while the in-house doctor studied her burns and asked questions and bandaged her hand. She was asked to see a burn specialist immediately and was whisked away to the hospital by a couple of teachers, Arjun-Preeti accompanying her.

All the while Sameer was shocked and in a dazed state. He simply couldn't fathom what had happened, Naina had almost risked her life to save him. MP were trying to console and assure him that the in-house doctor had said it wasn't that serious as the acid was dilute and she will be fine soon.

Rakesh sir came charging towards him, held him by the collar and dragged him to the principal's office that was already filled with Lochan sir, Chemistry sir, lab attendants, and his Nanaji with head bowed down. MP followed them as they knew that right now Sameer didn't care about himself, his thoughts were only on Naina and about her well-being.
Sameer was guilt-ridden that Naina was hurt and Nanu was going to be humiliated coz of him.

Rakesh: Mujhe yaad hai sir, aapne kahan tha ki main bina permission ke andar nahi aa sakta, lekin aaj iss ameerzade ki harkat ki wajah se main sare niyam kanoon bhol gaya hoon.

Principal: Rakeshji shaant ho jaayiye, hum iss vishay par hi charcha kar rahe hai ki yeh haadsa hua kaise. Aajse pehle hamare PVKM mein aisa kabhi nahi hua hai.

Rakesh: Kaise hota sir? Aajse se pehle yeh ameerzaada yahan padhta bhi toh nahi tha. Aur main shaant kaise rahoon, aaj iski wajah se, meri beti ki jaan ja sakti thi... arre jaan chodiye. Uska pura haath jal gaya hai, agar tezaab ka ek bhi katra uske chehre pe ya aankh mein chala jaata toh uski toh puri zindagi barbaad ho jaati.