Chapter 13

Prim’s POV

I heard my name and snapped my head in the direction I heard it. My eyes landed on Adrian and Jasmine talking a ways behind me.

Well shit. That can’t be good.

As if to confirm my thoughts Adrian suddenly stopped running eliciting complaints from those behind him.

As I watched he slowly looked up his eyes locking with mine. There in his eyes I saw confusion and slight anger but overpowering that all was the unfiltered hurt that flashed in his eyes.

I had to look away.

I heard Mason yell at Adrian to keep it moving but I didn’t look back to see if he had listened or not. As I rounded by Mason again I noticed he was looking at me with great intent.

I figured he must have heard what Jasmine had said to Adrian, and if the angry glares all pointed in my direction were any indication, so had the rest of the class.

As I continued to look at Mason I saw him give me a subtle nod, I know it meant he understood why I said that.

He and the rest of my guys knew how much I wanted my mate, at least when I was little, I dreamed of him being some big strong werewolf who could defeat my father and take me away. Unfortunately as I grew older I realized how small the possibility of the actually happening was. In reality my father was too big and too powerful for anyone to save me, they would just end up getting killed.

I couldn’t live with that. But living with my mate thinking I don’t want him doesn’t seem to be going as easy as I thought. I overestimated my willpower to stay away from him. Every fiber in my being was screaming to go and tell him I didn’t mean what I said and that I would love him forever but with the image of him dead by my father’s hands firmly planted in my head kept me away.

By lap 20 most started slowing their pace but I kept going steady, unfortunately this meant that I had to run past other people. Which, when they all hate your guts, is not fun at all.

Some dude even had the gall to try and trip me, idiot thought it would work too, too bad for him that I saw it coming and the placement of my foot just so happened to land right on top of his. I couldn’t help the smug smile that crept onto my face.

The dude screamed like a little girl which cause many to laugh at him. I realized I had unwanted eyes on me.

I looked to my left to see Adrian staring at me unabashedly. Even when our gazes locked, he did not divert his eyes.

I wiped the smile off my face, swallowed big then picked up my pace, focusing on the rhythm of my steps and breathing.

Too soon I finished my fifty laps well before everyone else. After grabbing a drink I headed over to where Mason was watching the rest of the class finish up.

Without looking back he spoke in a hushed tone, “I know why you did it, but are you sure this is what you want to do? Reject him I mean.”

I let out one massive sigh “Nope, it’s not what I want but at the same time it’s what I need to do, as of right now I have no right to accept him.”

He whipped his head around so fast I’m surprised he didn’t get whiplash “Is that what you think? That you don’t deserve him? Because if so it’s not true, if anything you deserve more than anyone else!”

By the end of it he was practically yelling, I cringed as the sound hurt my ears. “Whoa man calmed down,” I looked around to notice all eyes on us, just great. Not. “look that’s not what I meant okay and anyway this really isn’t the place to be talking about this.” I looked around again rubbing the back of my neck.

Mason looked around as well and his anger fell instantly. Deflated he looked back at me apologetically, “Right, sorry Prim, we’ll talk later.” Turning back to the class who had finally finished their laps he yelled “Alright thats it for running today, now lets go to the weight room for the rest of the period.”

This time only the girl groaned while the guys all cheered, well almost all the guys. There was one very saddened looking guy who would not stop staring at me.

I could tell he wanted to talk to me.

While everyone headed inside I stayed back as did he. Mason looked back giving me a questioning look. I just nodded for him to go on. This talk was going to have to happen sooner or later, I just hoped it would be later.