Chapter Thirteen

Magritte

Amina hated being home alone in thunderstorms, especially so soon after Halloween. She was surprised that her parents would even let her stay home while they took Cheyenne on a weekend trip to their grandmother's house in Philadelphia.

The sky was almost black, seeing as it was close to 7 o'clock. A white flash seared across her living room window, followed by a roar of thunder shaking the house. Amina just turned up the volume on the tv louder, letting Kevin Hart fill the quiet spaces in between the thunder.

She would have been bored if it weren't for Zane, who was blowing up her phone with texts about the most recent breakup with Zion. Apparently Zane didn't like the way her boyfriend was texting with some girl named Kekéli. To make things worse, when confronted about it, Zion claimed the girl was his sister.

The fact that he was texting another girl alone was enough to make Zane rethink her relationship; the fact that he had the guts to deny it made Zane furious.

Amina just raised her eyebrows as each text flooded her phone, filled with curses and the worst wishes for Zion and his "sister". At some point she found it funny. Only Zane could rant about a boy for 4 hours straight. Amina just snuggled further into her blankets and watched the texts roll in.

Amina jumped when someone rang the doorbell. Anyone outside in this weather must have been delusional. She hesitated, not sure if opening the door would end like an episode of Goosebumps. Instinctually, she turned off the television, to make it seem as if no one was home. When the doorbell rang again, she decided to grab the nearest kitchen knife, and head over.

"Who is it?" She called through the thick oak door.

"Amina, I need to talk to you."

She was confused, placing the knife down on the table beside the door, and opened the door tentatively. The rain was even louder without the door to muffle it's sound. There stood Brandon, no jacket or coat, with a wet envelope in his hand.

"Brandon?"

He sniffled. "I got my art midterm back. You were the only person I wanted to tell when I opened it."

Amina shushed him, waving him inside. "Come in, please. You're gonna get sick."

The two moved further inside, with Amina closing the front door behind them. Brandon shivered, and just then did Amina realize he was only wearing a thin, blue, button up PEPSI shirt with black jeans. He must have been freezing. Amina directed him further into her house, into the living room, where the fireplace was blazing under the tv.

"Why were you out there in the rain like that?"

"I had my dad drop me in front of Austin's house, then I just ran here.  Why?  Are your parents home or something?  I can come back," Brandon sniffled again.

Amina chuckled, shaking her head. She couldn't believe how polite yet absurd this boy was. "No, no they're not here.  You can stay all you want.  But why? You could have just called me, you know."

As they sat facing each other on the couch, Brandon looked up to meet her eyes, and Amina felt her pulse in the bottom of her stomach. "I wanted to tell you in person. I wanted to see you."

Amina didn't know what to make of those words. Sure, her and Brandon were friends, and they were close! But this seemed more than just friendly. His tone dripped with something Amina couldn't put her finger on. Desperation?

"Um," Amina hesitated, unsure how to reply.

"I got an A on my midterm."

Amina felt her smile being reflected on Brandon's face. "I'm so, so proud of you, B. You deserve it."