Chapter Six

van Gogh

Zion and Zane made it official on the twenty first of September.  Amina thought their big lunchtime announcement was pretty unnecessary, but it was dramatic, in true Zane fashion.  Nick made sure to let Amina know that dramatics were also Zion's specialty.  What a pair the two would make.

Zane looked disappointed as she looked around the lunch table, realizing her announcement wasn't that big of a deal to her friends.  Amina tried her best to put on a shocked face, but eventually couldn't do it.  Brandon nudged her in the side, encouraging her to say something to the couple.

"Good for you guys.  We're all happy for you."  Amina attempted to soothe.

"Thanks,"  Zion sounded suspicious.  "You guys don't even seem the slightest bit surprised..."

"We all saw this coming."  Nick stated bluntly.

"But,"  Amina interjected.  "That doesn't change the fact that we're happy for you."

Zane nodded slightly, beginning to pick at her salad.  Her dark curls were pinned up in a fuzzy halo, with strands coming down to frame her face.  The hairstyle was similar to Amina's, whose hair was slicked completely back.  Nick smoothed down her edges with his thumb.

"Honestly, Mimi, how do you get your hair to stay like that?"

It wasn't the first time Amina had entertained questions about her hair.  Hell, it wasn't even the first time she'd entertained Nick's questions.  She didn't blame him, though.  Nick never had bad intentions, just a lack of exposure.

"I use a shit ton of gel and edge tamer.  That's why it gets kind of hard."

Nick nods.  "Is that bad for your hair?  Don't they say you have to keep black hair moisturized and stuff?"

"You do,"  Amina found herself smiling.  "Moisture is key.  You gotta come over one weekend, Nick.  I'll teach you all about how to do black hair, from washing to styling."

"We're teaching the boys about black hair?"  Amina could practically see the cogs turning in Zane's head.  "Oh boy.  That's gonna be one hell of a day."

Edwin opened his mouth to say something, only to close it when a pale brunette figure approached the table.  She looked nervous, scared, as if coming up to the group was something she was dreading.  By the look on Nick's face as she approached, Amina gathered that maybe there was something for her to be afraid of.

"What do you want Val?"  Nick practically growled.

She tucked her stick-straight brunette strands behind her ear.  "I, um, I need to talk to Brandon.  It's important."

"Anything you need to say to me,"  Brandon cleared his throat.  "You can say in front of my friends."

She shook her head quickly.  "No, you don't understand.  I need to tell you in private."

"Valerie, if you can tell me, you can tell them.  I'm not going anywhere with you."

"Are you sure?"  Brandon raised an eyebrow, causing her to sigh, looking extremely defeated.  "Fine.  I was pregnant.  It was yours.  And I got an abortion."

Amina couldn't have made up the perfectly synchronized sound of plastic silverware hitting the table.  She took one glance at Brandon's face, saw the tears welling up in his eyes, and averted her eyes downwards.  Amina, along with the rest of the table, was extremely shocked as Brandon stood, rounded the table, and pulled Valerie into a hug.  Only then did she realize Valerie had started crying as well.

"I'm sorry,"  she blubbered.  "I wanted to tell you sooner, but I couldn't get over the breakup.  I knew you didn't want to see me, and I didn't want you to deal with the baggage.  I wanted to wait and tell you after midterms, but I just couldn't wait and do that to you.  I'm sorry."