The Date

June 7th 2005:

Draco sat on the peach blanket and stared out at the ocean view. Theo had been stupid enough to get him some blind date. It was supposed to be at the Magic Hut, a wizarding restaurant, but Theo decided he he wanted Draco and his companion to have privacy.

Draco already knew who it was. It was kind if hard not to, considering he had texted Hermione moments before and she had said the same thing. So, now, here he was waiting for his date to show.

"Remember, ruin this dress and I will hurt you," A voice said threateningly.

Draco turned his head to see a brunette in a mint green dress turned away from him. He smirked to himself, almost hearing her roll her eyes.

"Yes, Theo. Now go," Hermione commanded.

Theo grinned and gave her a final wave before turning on his heel and apparating away. Hermione took a moment to compose herself before spinning around with a smile. Her face fell instantly into a scowl.

"He planned this, didn't he?" She asked.

"I'd assume so," Draco replied crossing leg onto his other and leaning back on his hands, "Have a seat. The view is spectacular."

Hermione hesitated briefly but sat. She might as well enjoy herself. Draco was right, anyways, the view was amazing. They were sitting atop a cliff and could see the entire blue-green ocean. The sun was setting far off in the distance casting a pink and orange glow throughout the sky.

"Its beautiful," She breathed.

"Yeah, it is," Draco agreed just as breathless.

Hermione turned her head to look at him only to find him looking at her. She smiled softly, which he returned, before returning her sight back to the sunset. They sat in silence for awhile, admiring the sunset and sipping butterbeer.

"You look good in green," Draco spoke up after awhile.

"Oh, um, thanks," Hermione replied, surprised he was complimenting her.

Draco smiled slightly and chuckled. They continued to sit in silence until a voice rang through the air.

"You're boring me! Do something!"

"Shut up, Theo," The two chorused.

A huff of annoyance was heard followed by the crack of dissapparation. The two silently laughed before returning to the quiet. Neither really knew what to do it say. Individually, they both knew that thet had sreonf affections for the other. They just were too stubborn to admit it.

"Go for a walk?" Draco suggested.

"Why not?" Hermione shrugged atanding up.

She adjusted her dress it fell to its proper place at her knees. The two set off aide by side down the side of the cliff, careful not to get to close to the edge.

"Why'd you leave?"

Hermione sighed aoftly amd answered, "I was overwhelemed. Barely twenty and I already had a child. I was going to come back after a year and then . . . well I found out who Rhyme's dad is."

"Who?"

"Don't laugh," Hermione demanded. She sighed and said, "Cormac McLaggen."

Draco pressed his lips together. He remembered seeing them at Slughorn's Christmas party in sixth year. She had been so uncomfortable around him, that hearing she had his child only a couple years later was amusong on some level.

"Wait, isn't he I'm Azkaban?" Draco asked, suddenly remembering a Quibbler article he had read.

"Yeah. I heard rumors about the whole 'assassin' thing. That was the big reason I didn't come back. I didn't want him finding out and getting angry. When he was arrested I thought it would be okay to return."

"He cant hurt you. He's in Azkaban. No one escapes from there," Draco promised.

Hermione smiled up at him. They continued walking and sharing small talk. At one point the back of Draco's hand had brushed against Hermione's. She thought it was an accident at first, but knew better after it happened twice more. He expertly linked their pinkies together. Then their ring fingers, middle, index, and finally slipped his hand fully into hers. Hermione didn't miss the huge grin that spread across his face when she didn't pull away.

"Can we be really honest for a minute?" Draco asked quietly.

"Yeah," Hermione replied just as quiet.

"I really like you, Granger."

"Zabini."

"Malfoy."

"What?" She asked whipping her head to him.

"I said whatever," He smiled innocently.

"Sure you did." Hermione laughed.

Draco turned so he was facing her completely, the sun continuing to set between them in the distance. He took both her hands and stare into her eyes, smiling softly.

"This may sound really crazy and quick," He whispered, "But . . . would you be my girlfriend?"

"Yeah," Hermione whispered back, slowly leaning closer.

Draco's smile widened slightly. He followed her lead, leaning closer to her face. Their lips met, closing the ball of light shining towards them from the sun.