Chapter Seventeen

John Pov
Second period was right around the corner and I still felt extremely nauseous.

I started to draw, occasionally looking up at the clock.
Like it mattered.
The clock was off.

The teacher just droned on and on about god knows what. I drew another turtle and muttered, "Best of friendsss. These two turtles are best of friendsss."

The kid next to me looked at my paper and said, "Why'd you draw two turtles and whisper to yourself that they are best friends? How old are you?"

Aw shit.
I'm seventeen.
There's no good way to answer that question.

"FuCk off!" I said in a singsong voice.

He scoffed and went back to taking notes. Alex appeared next to me.

"That-funny. Noice." He said.
I nodded slightly, not wanting to talk to him in public.

He furrowed his eyebrows. Then he had a look of realization and said, "Oh right. Love-bye."

With that, he disappeared.
Nooo Alex come back.
I liked your company.

The bell rang and kids left the class, filing into the gym.
I couldn't find any of the Schuyler sisters while people went into the gym, but I figured it didn't matter mainly because I'd see them once I got inside.

I waited at the side as the principal got out some microphones. The nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach was back.

"John!" Peggy exclaimed, jogging over. "Eliza, Angie and I are gonna talk first then introduce you, Alright?" She asked.

"That's fine." I said, fidgeting with my hands.

The principal mentioned for sisters to come over there. Angie started talking but I wasn't listening too much.

She didn't even know that Alex went to the same middle school as her. I was really waiting for Eliza's speech.
My mind drifted to every stupid thing Alex and I did together.

~~
"Hey Alex?" I asked.
I was sleeping over at his house.

"Is something on fire?" I said, sniffing the air.

He smiled and showed me a Walkman and mixtape.

"It's probably the mixtape I've been working on." He said, clicking his tongue. I stared at him for a minute.

"Oh and there's a fire in the kitchen." He said, sitting down. I screeched.

"WHAT?!"
~~

"Though many of you probably didn't know, Alex and I had a fairly good relationship. It had its ups and downs like everyone goes through. Though most of you didn't know him, I did. And those of you that know me, you probably didn't even realize that Alex and I went out for about two months." Eliza said.

There were scattered gasps from the crowd.
Alex appeared next to me. I turned to him slowly.

"What. The. Fuck." I hissed.

"I wa- scared." He replied.

"Of What??" I growled, trying to keep my voice low.

"Being gay." He muttered.
"O-oh." I breathed.

"But even though I think Alex and I had a good relationship, John Laurens knew him better then literally anyone here. John was the only one who knew everything about Alex. And that's why he'll be speaking." Eliza said smiling, holding out a microphone.

I walked over and took it from her. The three of them went to the bleachers and sat down.

Holy fuck this is horrifying.
Alright.
Suck it up.
Do it for Alex.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw him leaning against the wall. He smirked and raised a brow.

"W-Well. This is a lot scarier then I thought it would be." A few laughs came from the crowd.
I smiled softly.

"Alex and I have been best friends since the middle of seventh grade. We went through everything together. Not puberty though. Alex didn't hit that until about freshmen year. Still had the little squeak in his voice." I said, a smile plastered on my face.

Again, a few laughs.

"But besides from that, Alex, like any of you, had a story. He went through life and some of you didn't even bother to realize he was there. But my god, he was definitely there." I said, scanning the crowd.

All y'all were just oblivious to the fact that he was there. I would lie and say he was popular and awesome and everybody loved him but that's definitely not true. Even though many people in the past few weeks have been saying how cool he was, how brave he was that isn't true." I said.

There was a new tension in the air.

Alex flipped me off, tears streaming down his face yet at the same time he was grinning from ear to ear.

"There's going to be a huge gathering this Saturday at the Town Hall and I'll tell you more of the truth if it matters to you. I sure hope it does, because if not? Then you've missed the biggest opportunity of your life." I put the microphone back in it's holder and sat down next to the Schuyler sisters.

Everyone clapped.
Alex ran over to me, and sat down.

He sobbed in his hands.

"Thank yo-! I- you-so much!" He cried, smiling.

"You're welcome." I whispered.

I didn't think it was possible but he smiled wider.
Alex, I'm not even done yet.