THIRTY-NINE: Family

Comenzar desde el principio

"Before Odin and the Aesir, I ask these rings be blessed as a symbol of this couple's unending love: as the serpent Jormungardr formed a circle around the world by biting his own tail, let these rings symbolise the love surrounding and binding this couple, now and forever!" He swiftly slid the rings onto the couple's hands and then nodded.

"What has been made as one before the Gods, before three Chiefs and two Heirs, let no man-or woman-rend asunder!" he announced. "You are husband and wife-you may..."

But Hiccup had already hauled Astrid into his arms, his lips moving passionately over hers as his hands slid into her golden hair. Her arms locked around his neck, holding him close. And their eyes were closed, oblivious to their cheering friends, the whistles and whoops of the humans and the roars of the dragons, Hiccup and Astrid were conscious only of each other and that they finally belonged to each other. Beyond contest and contract and any argument, Hiccup finally had his Astrid.

"Any regrets?" she murmured as they finally pulled apart and his eyes fluttered open.

"Not one-because I've waited almost my entire life for this moment," he told her softly. "Love you, Milady."

"Love you, babe," she replied as she kissed him again.

oOo

The wedding feast was a merry affair, with Hiccup restricted to drinking water only, though his aching head reminded him that he was not a big drinker and certainly not very good at holding his liquor. He was surprised, however, because though he knew he and Astrid were incredibly happy and relaxed and Dagur and Mala were totally goofily in love, Snotlout wasn't whining or complaining-because he was chatting very intently to a dark-haired broad-faced Wingmaiden named Minden, one of Atali's younger and more impulsive fighters. Fishlegs and Heather were also giggling at their antics and the twins were engaged in some nonsense-though Tuff was bemoaning that Astrid was crumpling his work.

"You with me?" Astrid murmured, her hand gently brushing over his. He blinked and nodded.

"It's not how I imagined it," he admitted softly. "But the people here...excepting a couple...are exactly who I would have chosen." The unspoken words, the hurt was there, edging his words as he stared into the flames. No matter how bad their relationship had been in the past, Hiccup had become much closer to his father since he ended the war with the dragons and he missed having his father in his life. Not having Stoick at his wedding was an aching pain, a gap in his heart which he knew he could do nothing about...and which could never be fully plugged. As Stoick's only child, this was the Chief's only chance to attend his son's wedding. Hiccup had been distraught that his father had insisted on enforcing the contract made years earlier without his knowledge, ignoring his protests, his wishes and his love for Astrid. And he had been heartbroken that he was forced to make the decision to outcast himself to avoid going through the marriage to Camicazi.

"I know," she reassured him. "I would have liked my parents here as well, babe-but I wouldn't change a thing. And we have the most amazing friends, family and dragons. And no matter what...we have each other. And know, between us, we can finish this." He squeezed her hand.

"There will always be a Hiccup and Astrid," he admitted.

And then the explosions jolted everyone from their conversations and the Riders were on their feet in seconds. Nearest the door, Snotlout glanced out and frowned.

"Guess who's shown up without an invitation!" he snarked as Astrid grabbed the beautiful double-headed axe, graven with runes and images from the Sagas, that Hiccup had given her as his wedding gift.

"No gate crashers!" Ruff growled, whistling for the Zippleback. Dagur glanced over at Mala and Throk.

"Please protect the non-combatants!" he asked sternly, glancing meaningfully over at Hjordis and the sleeping Valkana. "Especially my little niece..." The stern Defender nodded, accepting the charge on behalf of himself and his Queen.