Chapter Fifteen

"Why are all Asgardians so stubborn?" Tony muttered as he walked next to Steve, his eyebrows furrowed in concern as he looked at the woman in the blond's arms.

Steve stole a look at him but said nothing as he continued walking to the woman's room. Only Tony and Pepper had joined him. The others had left, and he had briefly heard Natasha announcing that they had some things to discuss.

"You must not blame her," Pepper muttered as she looked at the gardener. "She is just desperate. It is obvious that she cared for him very much."

"How could she?" Steve murmured as he looked at the Asgardian in his arms. "Loki has killed many people, how could she feel the way she does?"

"She has been my gardener for the last fifteen years," Tony answered, "we don't know if she actually knows what Loki has done."

"How could she not?" he raised an eyebrow. "She was in New York when it had happened."

"Could we not try to justify her feelings?" Pepper exclaimed, her eyes wide as they reached the Asgardian's room. "We have more important problems than Zoë's feelings."

The two men turned their heads to her, but the blonde only rolled her eyes at them. Without saying anything else, she opened the door leading to the gardener's room and gestured to them to get inside. Steve got in first, closely followed by Tony and lastly Pepper herself.

The blond laid her on the couch and proceeded to raise her legs up in the air, so that some blood would return to her brain. They waited for some time, and finally, she seemed to be waking up.

Zoë let out a soft groan and slowly, she opened her eyes. The first person she saw was Steve and then Pepper and Tony, all smiling at her. She could not tell if their smile was one of relief or not.

"What happened?" she asked as Steve let her legs fall on the couch. The woman immediately tried to push herself up, but before she could actually do it, Tony pushed her back down on the couch.

"Now, Flowergirl, you are not going anywhere." She tried to protest but Tony shot her a look. "You are not fainting again on my watch."

Zoë let out a sigh. "I fainted, then?"

Pepper and Tony exchanged a look. "Zoë, there was really nothing you could do-"

"Odin said that I could," she cut in as she closed her eyes. "He said that I had the power to do it. I just have to try again-"

"You are doing nothing of the sort!" Tony protested. "Who knows what might happen to you if you try again!"

"Zoë, I am sure that you hate the fact that you couldn't bring Loki back," Pepper mumbled, "but you really can't try again. Not so soon, at least. Give it a day or two, and then you could try again."

Tony shot her a look, but the woman said nothing as she simply looked at her gardener. Steve just stood there, simply listening in their conversation. Meanwhile, Zoë let out a sigh.

"I don't want to wait," she muttered. "But something did happen."

"Flowergirl, nothing really-"

"Mr Stark, I know that something happened," she cut in as she closed her eyes. "I saw memories. Memories of my time with him. Just before I passed out, though, I saw a memory that was not mine. It was a memory of his I had not been in. I saw the way he died!"

The three mortals exchanged looks full of disbelief. Zoë, even with her eyes closed, could understand that they did not believe her. Perhaps she had imagined the memories? But how could she? After all, she had not known the way he had died.