Change

"Fucking hell." Mark was jostled out of sleep by Ethan's voice. He was sitting up in bed with his hands over his diaphragm, looking significantly paler.

"You might want a bucket," Mark said, hurrying to get one from wherever he could find it. He was too late. Ethan was running out the door of his bedroom to the bathroom, and the unsettling sounds of Ethan emptying his stomach came quick until he groaned and returned to bed.

"I feel like absolute shit." Ethan said.

"Well, your body's trying adjust to the fact that you're dead, so that's expected.

"Shit..." Ethan muttered. "I almost died."

"You did die." Mark corrected him.

"You know what I mean." Ethan said. Mark passed him the bucket as he began to wretch again, and puked into it.

"How long is this going to last?" He rolled over and curled up, pulling the blankets close.

"A couple days." Mark answered.

"Fantastic." Ethan said sarcastically.

"The puking should stop by tomorrow. Usually your blood burns as it's replaced, but most of yours is gone, so I don't think it'll be as bad." He explained.

Ethan groaned. "You'll stay?" He asked.

"'Course. I'm your sire."

He didn't have the energy to ask what that meant.

Mark pulled a chair out of Ethan's living room and stationed it in the bedroom so he wouldn't have to leave his side as he slept. The process of changing to a vampire was painful and unpredictable, and he wasn't about to let Ethan go through it alone.

The only time he left the room was when his phone began to ring.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Mark! Thank god. Where the hell are you?" You shouted.

Shit. "I'm..." He sighed. There was really only one way out of this, even though it pained him to think about. "I'm at Ethan's house. Why don't you come over here? I'll explain everything."

"Well, yeah, I've been looking for you for hours. I was worried. See you in a bit." You hung up.

A few minutes later, you threw open the door to Ethan's apartment, not bothering with knocking. "Mark?" You called.

Suddenly he was right in front of you, and his hand was under your chin. "Mark, what are you-"

His piercing eyes stared deep into yours, but they weren't the warm brown you were used too, they were gold, and they were glowing. You should be freaking out, but you weren't. You were too focused on how beautiful his eyes were...

His voice was low and commanding, and as soon as he spoke, he had your undivided attention. "Go home." He said. "Forget this ever happened. Forget seeing Ethan in the crash. If anyone asks, I'm here with Ethan because he called to tell me he's sick, and I wanted to check in. Tell Tyler I didn't have time to call him. Everything is fine. Do you understand?"

You nodded. Your head was suddenly cloudy, but Mark was right. Listen to Mark. You can trust Mark.

"Good." He said. Your heart swelled at his approval. "Now forget we had this conversation, and do as I told you."

You nodded dazedly and left. As soon as you were home and walked in the door, your head cleared, but you couldn't remember why you were down here and not upstairs.

Mark felt a stab of regret as you walked out the door. He'd never done that before. Not to you, anyway. He hated the thought of bending your mind. It felt like an invasion of privacy. But what choice did he have?

He decided it was for the best to stop dwelling on it, and retreated to ethan's bedroom instead. You should be home by now.

He dialed your number. "Hey, (Y/n)." He said when you picked up. "Ethan's pretty sick. I'm going to spend the night here to make sure he's alright."

"Geez, is he okay? He doesn't need to go to the hospital or anything, does he?" You asked from the other end. Mark let out a breath. It worked.

"No, I don't think so. Don't worry, I've got it under control."

"You want me to come over?" You asked.

"Nope." He answered. "Everything's fine. You can relax and have a nice night without me around to bother you."

"Oh, hell yes, finally." You answered sarcastically. "If you're sure. Love you." You said.

"Love you too." He hung up just as Ethan threw up whatever was left in his stomach into the bucket.

"I hate this." Ethan groaned.

"Yeah, it sucks." Mark answered. He opened his phone to see that the police were baffled by a car crash in Los Angeles in which a driver was missing from one of the cars. The other driver swore there had been a person in the other car, but she was likely in shock, and possibly delusional.

Well, at least it was simply an unsolved case for police and boys on YouTube to theorize about, rather than if someone had seen him carrying a corpse from the scene.

"D'you wanna sleep?" Ethan slurred, clearly drained of energy.

"Nah, I'll be fine." Mark said.

"There's a guest bedroom," Ethan said.

"I'll be fine." Mark repeated.

"Suit yourself..." Ethan was out cold before the end of the sentence.

Mark scrolled through Twitter and Tumblr for a while, yawning, until he got too bored and tired to care. He didn't mean to fall asleep, but despite himself, he woke up a few hours later as the sun was streaming in through the curtains. Ethan wasn't in bed.