Stress

You woke up to familiar, feather-light kisses peppering your nose and cheeks. You let out a sleepy giggle as your eyes fluttered open to meet Mark's. He was smiling, looking refreshed and ready to face the day. "Good morning." He said in his deep, gravelly morning voice.

"Morning," you yawned and closed your eyes. "You're way too happy to be awake."

"How can I be upset when I wake up to an angel every morning?" He said. You groaned at how cheesy he was and turned away from him. He pulled you back, rolling over on his back and wrapping his arm around you so that your head was against his chest and you were trapped there, unable to move against his superior strength, not that you would have tried. You smiled against his skin and traced circles on his bare chest as it rose and fell with his breathing.

You laid there in blissful silence for a while, letting your eyes fall closed again and enjoying the morning and the fact that you were laying there with him rather than starting work or getting ready for the day.

Eventually, you broke the silence. "I woke up late last night and you weren't here." You said. "Where were you?"

His arm around you, whether he intended it or not, tensed, and he was silent for a moment. "I couldn't sleep." He explained. "So I wandered around outside for a while."

"That sounds like a really stupid thing to do in L.A. in the middle of the night." You knew he had bad nightmares sometimes, and you'd told him to wake you up if he wanted to talk, but he refused. He said it was because he didn't want to show weakness like that, but you knew it was actually because he didn't want to disturb your sleep. You yawned again. "But I guess you weren't cheating on me or anything, so that's good."

"Never." He said, squeezing you.

"I suppose we should get up, shouldn't we?" You said, making no move to do so.

"Mmm, five more minutes..." He buried his face in your hair and threw his other arm around you.

"Jesus, Mark," you strained. "Don't break me please."

He chuckled, a low rumble in his chest, and rolled over on top of you. "MARK!" You squealed. "FUCKING HELL GET OFF ME!"

Mark laughed and squeezed you before rolling the other way and practically falling out of bed. You gasped dramatically for breath as he rolled his eyes. "I'm not that heavy." He said.

"Yeah, well, heavy enough that you can fucking crush me." You said.

He grinned and hooked his arms under you, throwing the blankets to the side and carrying you bridal style to the kitchen. You simply groaned. "Now I'm cold." You whined.

"That's the price you pay for pancakes." Said Mark, setting you down in one of the dining chairs. He turned on his heel and began to whistle as he grabbed what he needed to make breakfast.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm going to go take a shower." You said. He hummed, confirming he'd heard, and you left. Cuddling with him was always done in bed or with a blanket because, as he'd explained a long time ago, he had very poor circulation and was almost always cold. He assured you his medical condition didn't bother him, but it created need for many many blankets when you slept together at night.

When you were out of the shower and dressed, you found breakfast on the table, but no Mark; however, you did hear a few familiar, loud voices upstairs. You plated a few pancakes, grabbed a fork, and headed upstairs.

You pressed your ear to the door and heard the voices of Mark, Ethan and Tyler saying something about dead Jewish children, and assumed they were playing Cards Against Humanity: a video you would have to try to make entertaining through the magic of editing.