''Mom, can you give us a second, please?'' He was now looking up at her and I saw another side of him. In that short moment, he seemed like a vulnerable child, not like an aggressive wolf. But it was soon over as his mom said she wanted to hear everything as well.
''Promise me you won't get mad.'' Jake's eyes seemed sure, definite but also hopeful. His mother must've had a feeling she didn't like what was coming, but she kept her mouth shut and joined the little table we were sitting at.
''You know vampires and werewolves aren't the best friends, don't you?'' Jake started. I actually knew nothing about it but I wasn't going to admit that so I just nodded.

''It was one of the reasons I didn't trust your siblings, seeing as they're vampires. After I'd dropped you off, I lingered around a little bit, to see if you got home safely. They tied you around a pole! I had almost come into your house, it wasn't right to do something like that. But I knew I wouldn't stand a chance against more than one vampire and you didn't seem to be hurt so I went away after one of them untied you. '' Jake was now looking away from us. His mother didn't seem surprised, she looked like this was a daily conversation between the two. I remembered the night well, when me, Jenna, Matt and Jake had gone out, my siblings beyond mad. 

If Jake thought the rope thing was bad, how would've he reacted to the smack Stefan gave me when I had hit the wall? Thankfully, he hadn't stayed that long. How come my siblings hadn't smelled him that night? They must've been preoccupied , but still. Jake went on.
''The way they treat you, so disrespectful, how vampires treat other people, like living blood bags, how they lock you up, control everything, it's just wrong. Also, after following Stefan a couple of times, I saw how aggressive he was. Sooner or later, he'd slip and might be a threat to you, I couldn't let that happen. Right then , Conchobar told, the ones who needed to be told, that he was planning on taking you here, kind of abducting you.
 '' Annabelle was about to interrupt him, but Jake held up his hand.
''You promised.'' He said and continued, '' so I was kind of glad I finally had a chance of getting you away from them. It's safer here.'' At first, I didn't know what to say. Annabelle on the other hand, did.
''Jake! How can you be the one to decide what's good for her?'' I looked at him, wondering the same thing. He didn't answer and I felt a little bad for him, his mother gave him extra pressure while he already had to admit something difficult.
''Annabelle, can I please talk to Jake for a minute?'' She nodded and stood up. She took her knitting kit outside and closed the door whereafter it was deadly still for a minute. I was the first one to speak.
''My siblings are no danger to me. '' After I said it, I corrected myself.
 ''Most of them aren't.'' I said, thinking about Stefan and Klaus. Suddenly, I realised something.
''When you whispered something to Conchobar the night of the party, you told him I'd give myself in, didn't you? You had everything planned already.'' I felt betrayed, used. Like I was no more than a pion in a big grown-up game in which nobody told me anything. The fact that he knew me better than I knew myself, was just as well terrifying and I got mad. Jake looked in my eyes, determined he had done the right thing but also filled with hope I wouldn't be angry with him. Which I definitely was now.

 ''I can't believe it. '' I repeated. ''I can't believe it.'' There was something I had forgotten, something...
''Did you release Stefan?'' I asked, knowing if he'd say no, I'd kill him. Thankfully, Jake nodded. I stood up, the chair screeched from the movement.
''And now?'' I asked him. His face changed from miserable to confused in one second. ''What now?'' He turned on his chair. I rolled my eyes.
''That's what I asked you.'' I looked out the window. A couple of women were hanging clothes on ropes, children were playing, men talking. Jake sighed. I turned around and crossed my arms, waiting for an answer. ''You stay here.'' He simply said, as if it was normal.
''For how long?''. He replied but I definitely hadn't expected that answer.
''Forever? You're for real?'' I laughed, I couldn't help it. It was so ridiculous.
 ''Jake, how do you think that's going to be? I miss my siblings already, I want to be with them. I also don't grow older, you wolves do. Don't you think they'll fight and probably kill to get me back?'' This was my logical side speaking, my emotional side was in denial.
''They can't.'' Now, it was my turn to be confused. God, this was starting to be exhausting.
 ''What do you mean?'' Jake replied matter of factly.
'' They can't. A witch has done some kind of spell that doesn't let any vampire in these woods. We marked the border in a secret way so nobody but us knows where the line is.'' My mouth dropped. They had thought this through, like really through.
''Since when is it there?'' I asked, retracing my steps in my mind to see if I had noticed any suspicious things on my way here.
''A few weeks.'' Jake added '' Elena, trust me, this is the best for you.'' I couldn't stand it anymore, people thinking for me, doing whatever they wanted. Did I look so helpless? ''Since the plan was formed?'' I guessed. Jake nodded to say I was right. I let my head rest in my hands, my elbows on the sink. I'd never gotten myself into a bigger mess. ''Does Elijah know I'm here?'' I asked, looking at the washed plates.
''No.'' I sighed and felt bad for my brother.
''He's probably feeling hopeless. I can't even imagine how worried he must be.'' I didn't know why I said it out loud, but it felt good to say. I felt the tears coming, my vision starting to blurry. But I was not yet crying, not yet. I needed to think of a plan first, needed more information, before I was allowed to break down. How could I get a message to Elijah? How could I make Jake listen, really listen, to me?
 ''What does Conchobar want from me? Why does he agree to all of this?'' Jake shrugged, like it didn't matter. Maybe it didn't to him, but it did to me. Determined to ask Conchobar himself, I headed for the door. After opening it, I saw three muscled men standing in front of me. I thought they were here for Jake, or his mother, so I tried to squeeze myself between them but they got closer to each other. I went for the right, so did they. Frustrated, I turned around to Jake.
 ''What is this?'' I gestured outside, to the men. ''That's your guard.'' Unbelievable. 

''My guard?'' I repeated, dazed.
''You told me I was a prisoner at my own house, that I should be allowed to do what I want,'' I said, '' but here you are, doing the same damn thing.''
 "I'm not," Jake started but stopped himself. He inhaled deeply and started again.
''This is different. This is because I don't want you to run back to them, which I would understand since you love them but it's not good for you. And well, Conchobar doesn't trust you so...'' Jake finished and looked at the men. This was not going to be easy, I realised.

A room was given to me, rules were explained and then I was left alone. If you didn't count my guard standing outside the door who'd be there 24 hours a day. The room was less primitive as I had thought it would be. A large bed was placed in the middle, a dark wooden closet at the right side, a wooden desk at the left. The walls were stones, painted white and black. The only thing lying on the floor was a little round carpet. I sat down on it and forced myself to think. 

The room was in Jake's aunt's house, his mother's sister. It was a little bigger than Jake's, because it had a second floor, Jake's didn't. His aunt, Abby, had three children, Rob, Dani and Seth. The oldest, Rob, was twenty, the second was Seth, eighteen and the youngest, Dani, was sixteen. I immediately felt sorry for the girl, having two older brothers wasn't as easy as people thought It was. But the short minute I had seen them, they had gotten along very well so I guessed it wasn't quite like I assumed it was. I moved to the bed, testing the mattress. It wasn't as soft as mine, a little harder but it could do. The pillows and sheets smelled old, unused.

 I wondered what they had used the room for before they had given it to me. A knock on the door, followed by a click. It went open and Abby came through, carrying a plate with soup and bread.
 ''Hi, do you like the room? I hope you do. It's not really modern nor for young people, my daughter hates this room, but it's the only free one I have.'' She set the food down on the desk and smiled at me. I smiled back, answered I liked it very much and gestured her to sit down next to me. She did and took my hand in hers.
''Are you cold my dear? Do you like another blanket? I can get it, it's just downstairs.'' I shook my head, laughing.
''No, no. I'm fine, thank you.'' I looked away, ashamed I was going to ask.
 ''Do you know what Conchobar wants with me?'' I asked her. Abby sighed and gave me a look full of pity.
''I only know Conchobar. He likes to have power, to be able to control everything. If he, by any chance, saw you as something that could help him achieve that goal, he'd do anything to get you.'' After that, she left but not without telling me that if I needed something, I should ask. I assured her I would and closed the door. I needed to talk to as many people as I could and get my hands on a cell phone, one way or the other. And I needed to find the borders and how to break them. But for now, I really needed to sleep.