Chapter 2

The house looked to have been abandoned for quite a while. Dust and cobwebs covered everything and all of the furniture was covered in white cloth. You walk into what seemed to be the lounge area. You gesture for Rose to hop off of your shoulders, and she does so, sitting on a covered table. You slip off your bag and sit it back in the hallway. The first thing you do is open up the window to let in fresh air. One by one you begin to remove the white cloth from the furniture, revealing a couch, a writing desk, a large book shelf that was still full of books and a small table. After you had dusted everything off with one of the cloths that had covered the furniture you decide go to find a broom.

You sit all of the cloths down in the hallway and walk further into the house. You open the end door to see a set of stairs that went down. You sigh through your nose and begin to descend the stairs. The air was musty and even dustier than upstairs. You come to a door at the bottom. You open the door to reveal a completely dark room. You huff, crossing your arms. It was impossible to see anything in this darkness.

You turn on your heels and climb back up the stairs. You march back to your bag, which still remained in the hallway and pull out an orb. It was a faint blue and could fit into your palm easily. You turn back around and once again make your way down the hall and the stairs. On your way down you mumble a few words and it begins to shine brightly. You smile in triumph as you walk into the dank cellar. You look around at the practically empty room, you notice a few gardening tools hiding in one corner and in another corner sat a cage.

You take a step closer to the cage to see that there were scratch marks covering the bottom of it, so many scratches that it had almost clawed the entire bottom of the cage to smithereens. You frown, but shrug and continue to look around. You see the broom sitting in the furthest corner of room. You walk over to it and grab it before walking back out of the room, closing the door behind you.

You walk back into the lounge and begin to sweep the floor. You look over at Rose, who had fallen asleep on the table. You smile at her small form curled up, purring as she slept peacefully. Once you finish sweeping the floor you get started on sweeping off the cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling. You stop wildly waving your arms at the unoccupied webs from the roof when you hear a knock at the door. You sit the broom against the wall and walk down the hall to see someone standing at the open doorway. He seemed to be wearing a purple and gold coat along with a blue striped scarf and an awful looking pair of striped pants. He has black hair with a purple streak running through it.

"Hello," you greet cheerfully, "how can I help you?"

"I'm Eridan," he introduces himself; "I'm the local magician."

You grin when you hear that he was the one that used the magic.

"Ah, yes," you nod, "I was told that there was another user of magic in the town."

There's a small moment of silence.

"Oh, I'm (y/n)," you laugh, "almost forgot."

You hold your hand out and Eridan takes it, shaking it.

"Well, I'd offer for you to come in for tea or something, but I haven't really got anything and I'm still cleaning up and fixing the house." You say awkwardly.

"That's fine," Eridan replies, "I just came to give you something that light help you."

He opens up the satchel that sat at his hip and pulls out a piece of cloth. He closes his satchel and hands you the cloth. You take it and look at it; it was all white besides a small symbol that was drawn on the corner in some sort of black ink.

"It'll clean whatever you tell it to by itself," Eridan explains, "and it doesn't get dirty itself, it just removes the dust and filth."

"Wow, you're really giving me this!" you exclaim excitedly.

"Think of it as a house warming gift." Eridan says, the corners of his lips pull up into a slight smile.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it," you sigh, "it'll make thing much easier."

"Well I'll be off." Eridan says, nodding.

"Of course," you reply, "I'll see you some other time."

With that he turns around begins to walk down the path that lead back to the village. Once he's out of sight you turn back around and head for the lounge. You look down at the cloth in your hand.

"Well let's try this out." You mumble to yourself.

You hold the cloth out in front of you, just below your chin.

"Clean the cobwebs from the corners of the room." You speak, a moment passes and the cloth doesn't move.

'Was he just tricking me?' you think to yourself.

You look to the side to see that Rose awake, one of her purple eyes was open and staring at you judgingly.

'What are you doing?'

"Oh shush!" you frown at the cat.

You huff and look back at the cloth. You pinch the two top corners of the top of the cloth and hold it at eye level. You take a closer look at the symbol and you notice that there was a word curved around the outside of the symbol.

"Arcanin" you mumble and that's when the cloth began to move.

You gasp in shock and drop the cloth, but instead of it dropping to the floor it continued to stay in the same spot, floating. You look back over Rose, who now looked interested.

'Well I'll be darned.' She meows.

"Alright, go and clean the cobwebs from the ceiling of this room." As soon as you finish your command the cloth zooms off to go clean one of the corners.

"In all my years I've seen many things, but never a piece of cloth that follows orders." You say, impressed.

"Once you've finished come and find me." You tell it and walk out into the hallway.

The next room you walk into is the kitchen, there were no cloths covering any of the furniture. The table and four wooden chairs were filthy, as were the counters and stove. You walk back into the hall and grab one of the white cloths and walk back in. You begin to clean off the table when the magic cloth flies in, stopping beside you. You stand up and walk over to the oven; you open it and cover your nose with your hand. It smelt horrific.

"Alright, clean the oven." You tell the cloth and it gets to work.

You walk back to the table and continue to clean.

'At least it won't take as long.'