XXXI. Right

"In the eyes of the gods, you are husband and wife," the priest intoned as he passed his hand over Katalin and Alesander's joined hands. They stood on the steps to the Cathedral in Vitoria, the seat of House Sagarra's power. Terese was being charitable enough to host them, though Sorne had opted to borrow the Captain of the Guard's quarters rather than intrude on the keep itself. Better to prepare for the noblewoman's displeasure now.

Despite the cheering of the crowd gathered, Sorne's mood was anything but celebratory. This wedding was too far from what she'd seen in the north to be enjoyed, an event driven by necessity and power. If it bought them peace, it would be worthwhile, but she still had trouble seeing it as anything but a sacrifice of the happiness of two young people she felt responsible for.

They will find their happiness together, Zhou had said earlier in an effort to reassure her. Sorne trusted his judgment more than her own there. She'd spent much of her life away from humans and the sensibilities that bound them. In her own way, she was almost as much of an outsider as Vridash.

The orc looked over at her. "You ready, little sister?" he asked, worry visible in his yellow eyes.

Sorne nodded and rose to her feet as the young couple turned to face the assembled crowd. She strode froward, her sword in hand. The bare blade flashed in the sun, sending murmurs through the crowd. Her people had learned that speeches were not her strong suit, but whatever she did, she did with purpose.

"I do not come bearing a gift for you, Alesander and Katalin Aldana," Sorne said seriously. "I come bearing a great responsibility, one that I expect you will tend to with all the courage and compassion you possess." She cleared her throat. "I invoke the names of the eternal and call their gaze upon us: Aimti, the Life-Giver; Sol, the Undying Light; Tek, the Great Artificer; Mode, the Shining One; and Nessa, the Eternal Watcher."

The air seemed to shift ever so slightly and Sorne felt the cold magic of Death stir in her blood. Nessa was listening, which meant that the others might be as well. Alesander and Katalin knelt in front of her.

"In the sight of the gods, I ask that you swear to me that you will always serve the people of Genev, that you will always act as their protectors, and that you will always keep them above yourselves in your hearts," Sorne said. "Never forget that all that awaits oathbreakers is woe and ruin."

Alesander and Katalin both gave her a little nod. "I will be their sword and their shield," he said firmly. "I will be their servant and I will never forget them, as long as I live. This I promise."

"In all things, I will be their advocate and comfort," Katalin said with that same steel. "I will be their servant and I will never forget them, as long as I live. This I promise."

Sorne nodded. "Then from this day forward, you and all children born of you will be my heirs. You will carry my name as a promise and a reminder of the sacred duty you have just consented to." She touched her blade to Alesander's shoulder and then to Katalin's, as if knighting them. "Arise, Alesander and Katalin Thayer. Your service now begins."

The fragile hush vanished as people cheered, the loudest agreement coming from Katalin's people. Sorne knew that there would be plenty of Ezkibel's people who would be relieved as well. Sorne had just demonstrated that she wasn't going to burn the nobility down to the roots and they undoubtedly viewed Katalin as immensely more measured and mannered than Sorne.

The warrior turned, catching sight of the two figures in the crowd that she was most concerned about: Shrike and Terese. Aldana's daughter looked livid and Shrike seemed thoughtful. Both responses were concerning, but expected. Sorne gave no indication that she had seen either of them. Those were future problems.