Chapter 3

"So Julio and I decided that we are going to throw you a surprise birthday party next week," Tess idly tampers with her phone not realizing the words coming out of her mouth.

"I don't think you know what the word surprise means." Yolanda giggles childishly as she types her literature essay due the next day, but realizes Tess has no clue that she even spilled her own secrets. Yolanda just shakes her head and mumbles, "Fine, I'll just act surprised next week," and continues to type her essay on "The Tragic Love of Romeo and Juliet".

After what seemed like minutes of complete silence, the now anxious Tessanique gasps, "How did I forget to tell you?" She exclaims and jumps to her feet.

"I don't know." Yolanda replies dryly, trying to concentrate on her writing.

"No wait, I said that wrong." She shakes her head as if it was a method of refreshing her brain cells. "Why didn't you tell me that Mr. Handsome is going to be at your school tomorrow?" Her eyes pop, waiting for Yolanda to comment.

"And who is "Mr. Handsome?" Yolanda's eyes glue to her laptop screen.

"Mr. Jeffery Amos of course!"

Yolanda suddenly pauses, her thoughts become cloudy and then short fuses, "What?" Her voice roared. "Where? Why? When?... What!"

"Yeah, my boss told me that since I failed to bring him a story on Mr. Handsome , I need to be there tomorrow and see what he has to say."

"Tomorrow!"

"Aren't you listening? Yes, tomorrow." Tess rolls her eyes and pulls the laptop from her. "Now you can listen."

"Give that back. I need to finish my assignment, Tess!" She begins to get more agitated.

"Ever since you met the guy you've gotten so worked up when you hear his name. So he's a prick. I would be too if I was making so much money." She gives Yolanda back her laptop, avoiding anything Tess has to say, she dives right back into her essay. "He's 29 for Christ sakes! His..."

"Enough!" Yolanda barks, "I don't like the guy! I will never like the guy! So I don't care how young and successful he is, Tess! It does not justify why he is so obnoxious. God!" Tess silences, and Yolanda barges off to her room, hoping to get some peace and quiet to finish her paper slamming her door shut behind her. The bang made Tessanique cringe.

***

"Okay class, we will not be having class today. Everyone should be seated in the auditorium for the business seminar at 10:00 this morning." Mrs. Steele announces and Yolanda raises her head, "Hand in your essays and be on your way."

Distraught by the sudden news, Yolanda stands in objection, "Mrs. Steele, do we all have to go?" Her tone louder than she had anticipated.

"That reminds me, Ms. Richman! Principal Swaby insisted that you attend and produce the vote of thanks to the guest speaker, he says you have a way with words and I just have to agree." As if the first announcement wasn't traumatizing enough, she just went on with the tragedy. Yolanda could feel a headache coming with just the mere fact of knowing who the guest speaker is. Her head will explode if she has to show her "Appreciation" for having him there.

"Unfortunately, I will not be able to be of any..."

"Nonsense!" Mrs. Steele cut her off before she could even finish, "You are doing it. This is your final year, recognition is good. Who knows the links this guest speaker has? Last year the student that did the vote of thanks made such an impression, she got a job as soon as she left." The lecturer's words were final as she packs up her belongings.