6 Years Old

It was the end of Peter's first week of school and his dad had promised to pick him up and take him to McDonald's for lunch. He had wanted to invite his new friend Ned, but he had a doctors appointment after school and couldn't join them. Although Peter was disappointed at first, his dad promised to bring Uncle Steve, so Peter was now even more excited. Uncle Steve had been on a mission all week and Peter had missed him, so going to McDonald's with him made the whole trip even more exciting.

When the bell rang, signalling lunch for the older kids and the end of school for the younger kids, Peter hurried to pack up his things. He grabbed his backpack from his cubby and carried his jacket. When he turned to leave the room, he saw Steve leaning against the wall by the door. Other kids were staring at him while the teacher gawked, but Peter didn't seem to notice.

"Uncle Steve!" he yelled, running and jumping into his arms.

Steve chuckled and picked up Peter, taking his jacket from him.

"Ready to go, bud?"

Peter nodded enthusiastically and waved goodbye to Ned. Tugging on his mom's hand, Ned waved back.

"Where's Daddy?" Peter asked, looking around the parking lot.

Steve adjusted his grip on Peter then pointed to the Audi parked across the street. Carrying Peter all the way across the parking lot, Steve set him down outside the door and helped him fasten his seatbelt. Once Peter was safely tucked inside, Steve slid in the front seat and they took off.

"Hey, kiddo," Tony said, pulling out onto the road and heading towards the nearest McDonald's. "How was school?"

"It was good," Peter said, "I like Fridays best. We don't do anything."

The ride to McDonald's was short, only about five minutes, but Peter couldn't stop bouncing in his seat. When Tony parked, Peter was the first one out. He slammed his door shut and bounced on his toes until Steve was out of the car. As soon as he was, Peter happily grabbed his hand and pulled him inside.

"Can I go play?" Peter asked, pointing to the indoor playground and looking at his dad hopefully. Tony glanced at Steve.

"I'll go with him," Steve said, holding onto Peter's hand so he didn't run off. "I'll just have a Big Mac—hold the onions—and small fry."

"Sure you can chew that?" Tony asked, "Did you remember your dentures?"

Steve gave him a look and let Peter pull him into the playroom without argument.

By the time they had finished their food and Peter was ready to (finally) leave the playground, it had been three hours. Steve cleaned up their table while Tony got Peter to put his shoes on. Once everyone was ready, they walked out of McDonald's and headed towards the car. Unfortunately, they hadn't parked close enough and paparazzi appeared as soon as they stepped through the front doors.

"Mr. Stark! Captain Rogers!"

Between Tony and Steve, Peter clung tightly to his dad's hand as the cameramen surrounded them and yelled out questions.

"Is this your son?"

Tony's grip on Peter tightened and he resisted the urge to pick Peter up. If he did, the cameras would be in his face and that would only make things worse.

"Daddy!" Peter cried, burying his face in Tony's legs.

As someone grabbed his arm, Peter pulled his hand out of Tony's to hit the attacking arm. The second he had let go of his dad, though, he was pulled far away from him and cameras surrounded him.

"Peter!" Tony yelled, turning sharply when he felt the small hand leave his.

He saw the paparazzi surrounding Peter and he pushed through the crowds, not caring who he hit until he found Peter. In the middle of the crowd, Peter was sobbing and swatting at the cameras that got too close. When he saw his dad, he reached out for him. Tony swung him up into his arms without a second thought and Peter buried his face in the crook of Tony's neck, hiding from the cameras around them.

Tony pushed everyone out of his way until he got to his car. Climbing into the backseat with Peter, Tony tossed Steve the keys and let him drive them back to the Tower.

Peter cried all the way back, never letting go of Tony. He only released him when Tony passed him to Steve once they got in the lift.

"I have to talk to Pepper," Tony grumbled, clenching his fists at his sides.

"I'll take care of him," Steve promised, rubbing Peter's back.

Tony nodded and got off at the 34th floor, but Steve and Peter continued all the way up to the penthouse.

Peter didn't say anything even once they were safely up in the penthouse. Carrying Peter over to the couch, Steve sat down with Peter in his lap and gently wiped away his tears.

"Peter?" he said softly, "Talk to me, kiddo."

"That was scary," Peter whispered, burying his face in Steve's shirt. "They were mean."

"I know," Steve said, rubbing his back. "Your Dad is gonna take care of it, though. Don't worry."

Tony definitely took care of it. The next morning, he made a public appearance to announce that if he ever had to deal with paparazzi surrounding his kid ever again, they should watch their backs because Iron Man was going to make sure they wouldn't do it. And Thor help them if they posted any of those photos.