Chapter 2: Crystal

I push the doors to the best of my ability.

Dear heavens, these doors just won't budge!

I try to push the doors open again, which finally give way with a harsh creak.

My muscles already feel sore...

I reach for the crystal in my pocket, but I decide not to take it, since this room seems bright enough for me... for some reason.

The room is still decidedly like the caverns from before the doors.

But somehow, in spite of being under a mountain, there is a patch of soil and grass which is very much visible to the naked eye, as though a spotlight were shining on it. In my bewilderment, I look up to check for any holes through which light could pass. I find none.

Okay, let me get this straight. First, I fell down a hole, and I should have died from it, given its height, but I came out relatively intact. Second, the crystals I found glow when they aren't reflecting any light. Third, there was the inscription on the wall. It's impossible for it to have formed naturally. Fourth, there are the doors which I just passed through. They're like a sore thumb within the caves. Lastly, there's this patch in front of me, which is somehow illuminated without any light from the outside.

What did I just get myself into?

I'm starting to feel like things are going to get even weirder the longer I stay here, which makes me want to find an exit as soon as possible...

I stare at the patch while trying to think about how I could get out of here.

Obviously, I couldn't climb back out, because I suck at climbing through places, and on top of that, it's too high, anyway.

Suddenly, I see a blinding flash of light. I take a step backwards and shield my eyes.

After a few moments, the light starts to fade away and... turn red?

That's strange.

I pinch my arm to check if I'm dreaming. I squeak at the mild pain.

Great, I'm still awake.

I look at the light again and---

It's gone.

Instead, there's a red crystal in its place, and it decidedly looks odd.

The crystal's core is glowing with a harsh red light. Structure-wise, it has ten sharp-looking points jutting out of its core. Said points also have a red glint at their ends.

I just stare at it for a few moments, wondering how it got there.

Nothing seems to be happening, so I slowly walk towards the red crystal.

I stop right in front of the crystal and bend down to pick it up.

The moment I touch the crystal, pain jolts through my hand. I wince and pull it away in alarm.

I glance at my hand and see no sign of injury...

So why did it hurt when I touched it?

Startlingly, the crystal glows even brighter and starts floating away from the ground.

I watch as the crystal is slowly being enveloped in a cloud of crimson mist.

The mist then changes shape and becomes denser, until it ends up taking a humanoid form.

The misty being only reaches my hips in terms of height. I could make out black eyes and a black smile on what seems to be its face. The crystal is still glowing from where the creature's heart would be.