Chapter Ten

Depuis le début

He asked for my emotional support, but I’m a teacher, only having the necessary skills to transfer my knowledge of English literature to young people.  Never in my life would I have dreamt of advising a prince how to handle issues in a kingdom or relieving his afflictions.  I had to get to my room and and pray in earnest right now!  Then I spotted Lily, chasing after Leo in the passage.

I had hoped that she didn’t see me, but the foolish little dog made a three hundred and sixty degree turn and was heading my way.  He was at full throttle and I decided to dash into my room.  I was about to close it completely, when I heard a loud, distressing howl.  It was Leo as his fluffy tail got caught in the door.  I opened up wider and let him in.

Short on its heels, was a breathless Lily.  She came in and I noticed traces left by tears. 

“Hi Steph, sorry for Leo’s hooligan behaviour.  I’m trying to teach him some manners, to no avail,” she sighed.
“He is still young, give it some time.  Why were you crying?”
“Oh, it’s nothing really.” She flashed an exaggerated smile, but soon after she lost her composure.
“Oh Lily, what is the matter, you can tell me?” I closed the door behind us.
She joined me on the sofa and Leo invited himself onto her lap.  I put him on the floor, where he sniffed about, disappearing out of sight.

“They wouldn’t let me see daddy..” My thoughts were in overdrive.  Maybe they were withholding the poison info and its effects from her. 

“Who told you that?” I tried another way of interrogation.
“Aland did.  It’s unfair!  Gita is there the whole time, why can’t I go?”
“You were in town yesterday.  Why didn’t you visit him then?”
“Aland said I was not to go alone.”  I communicated a silent prayer for wisdom and insight, taking her hands in mine.

“Lily, Aland, is your older brother.  He knows what is best for you.” She agreed. “I don’t think he would steer you wrong.  We were there this afternoon and I can testify that he is very sick and also weak.  I would say that it would contribute to your worry if you were to go alone and see him like that.”

I thanked God for providing me with the right words, as she looked relieved.  She bounced forward and gave me an unexpected hug.
“Thank you Steph, I know I can always count on you.  You are like another sister, but somehow you guide me like Aland does.  He talks to me and explains things like mommy used to.”
“I am glad that you feel better.  Talk to Aland and you can both go see your father.”

The delicate smile returned to her face.  We talked a while longer and I made sure that she was calm and content.   She started calling Leo, searching everywhere in my room and in the bathroom.  Leo must’ve made a blunder in there, because she yelled.  I found her searching for something to blot the pee on the carpet.

“I think I should leave before he invents an even bigger mess.  He must be walked before bed.”  Someone knocked, it was Darwin, looking for Lily.  He whispered that he had to talk to her, after seeing her upset this afternoon.  It was not a good idea talking to an emotional Lily and he gave her a chance to calm down. 

“She’s okay, we had a talk,” I told him, “but I’m sure that she would appreciate your attention in looking out for her.  Tell you what, I’ll take Leo for his walk and then the two of you can talk.” 

I decided to take a stroll into the garden.  The guards’ torches made sufficient light and the moon was full tonight.  Leo lifted his leg at every shrub imaginable.  I followed him around peacefully.  After a lengthy wait, it was time to head back.  Now, for scooping up the little rascal. 

The dog dodged me around every corner of the trimmed hedges.  I was gasping  and took a few seconds to catch my breath.  Standing stooped down, I was ready to surrender. Ascribing my uproductive search to the disobedient bundle of fur, I was ready to turn back.