I gulped as I went inside.  The king was looking frail and skinny.  His beautiful eyes appeared tired and deep set.  Those long legs covered the length of the bed and his feet were dangling over.  I imagined him being a shadow of what he once was.

“Come nearer, my dear,” he said in a husky voice.  I stood beside Aland, curtsied and muttered a “Pleased to meet you, your Highness.” He nodded fecklessly.  Gathering all his strength to take another look at me, he gazed wordlessly.  Some stringy grey hair, was framing his wax-like face.

“She is lovely Aland.” He tried to make conversation.  Aland filled him in on news from the castle.  The king began telling me about Utopia’s roots and all the books that I could read about its ideals.  A book was written in 1516, by Sir Thomas More, describing an imaginary ideal society free of poverty and suffering. The expression utopia was coined from Greek words and meant “no place”.  He described Utopia as a haven, an ideal state.

I listened, nodding now and then.  Unexpectedly, he sat up and grabbed his stomach, couching so badly that I thought he would soon run out of breath.  It seemed as if a huge ball of phlegm, was trapped deep down and he lacked strength to get the mucus to his throat.  I felt distressed for his sake and so desired to pat him on the back to bring some relief.  Gita rushed in and she helped Aland to get him in an upright position.

It seemed to help with his breathing, that proved to take great effort.  They propped him up with cushions.  I asked if he was alright.  When he settled down, we decided to leave.  In the meantime, Carnell and the others arrived, guarding the door.  Before we left, he told Aland to ask Hearst for his favourite nuts.

“He haven’t brought me any nuts since I came to the hospital.”
“Daddy, maybe he thinks you’ll choke from it.  They are quite dry,” Gita tried comforting him, but he shook his head stubbornly.

“I want those nuts!  Are you denying me my last treats?  It must be brought to me!” He uttered in dismay, his voice growing hoarser. 
I was so scared that he might  exsert his last strength, trying to shout at everyone to take him seriously.  I wasn’t ready for another session of coughing fits.  He greeted his father and had a few last words with Gita.  A doctor came in, checking the king’s vitals and blood pressure.  Just as we were leaving, we heard the hoarse voice coming from the bed,  “Bring her along when you come to visit again, Aland.  I want to speak to her some more.”  I wanted to say goodbye, but the doctor was busy with him and we left. 

“I am so sorry for your father’s state.  I don’t think I fully understood how sick he was.  And the shock about the poison.”
“Yes, it’s so saddening.  My father was a terrible man and father, but I could never have an ill wish for him, definitely not something to this extent.  He is still my father and I don’t like seeing him in such agony…”

“I can understand that.  I wish there was something—”
“There is,” he swallowed with difficulty,  “I need full confidence that you will support me, emotionally.  Will you do that for me?”
“Yes, of course.”
He looked like a little boy in need of love and tender care.  At that moment, I desired wholeheartedly to comfort him.  But I wasn’t ready for it.  The atmosphere in the carriage was strained.  Aland broke the silence, while staring intently on his boots.

“He likes you, you know,  I could tell.” Only that and he turned quiet again.  He had that meeting awaiting him and knowing a little about Aland, he wouldn’t postpone.  We reached the castle and dismounted the carriage.  Before leaving for the drawing room, he turned back and hugged me, his breath uneven and urgent in my ear.

“Aland, just remember you can’t put your arms around a memory, so hug your father while you still have time.  He’s not a threat and he won’t be horrible to you.  He’s dying…”  I had to say it.  He appeared downhearted as he walked away.  I went upstairs, my mind permeated with confusion.  I couldn’t think, reason or contemplate what to do, or even say to Aland.  His excellence of character and resolution as a leader will now be tested thoroughly.