11

Jake Walton in a suit was sexy enough, but the man who had shown up in khaki shorts and a blue polo shirt took Lil's breath away. His shorts stopped mid-thigh, long enough to be fashionable, but short enough to remind Lil of what he had looked like with much less on.

Lil looked away.

Better decisions could only come from gaining some control over her libido. Seriously, Jake was just another man. An incredibly gorgeous, sexually talented, inspiration-for-dreams-you-don't-want-to-wake-up-from man, but that didn't mean she couldn't keep a clear head today.

Lil snuck another quick perusal

Damn.

Dressed in a simple brown cotton skirt, light green blouse and sandals, Lil was determined that their day together would stay as tame as the clothing she'd chosen. She bent to place her daughter in the car seat. "Come on in," she said as she collected the necessary supplies for the day. "We're ready."

Colby babbled happily as she was secured into her seat. Lil swung her diaper bag up onto her shoulder, reaching down to pick up the car seat.

Jake's hand beat her to it. "I'll carry her; I bet she's getting heavy."

He smiled down at Colby who smiled back at him and Lil fought the desire to rip her child out of his hands and run. Neither of them had any business getting attached to Jake. Today was not about that. Tomorrow, things would go right back to being over.

Lil took a deep breath and reminded herself that this was for Abby.

"Thank you," she said and hoped she didn't sound as stressed as she felt. He was going to get suspicious if she looked like a trapped animal the whole day. Be cool. Be casual. "I couldn't find my stroller, so hopefully there is one wherever we're going."

"I had yours stored in your trunk."

"Of course." Lil smoothed her nervous hands on her skirt and picked up her purse. "Then let's go."

At least having Colby with them insured that nothing would happen between them.

Bringing her had been a good idea.

Unless Jake really is dangerous and now I put my daughter in jeopardy, too. Oh, shit.

You're losing it, Lil.

Jake had never given her a reason to think that he would ever hurt her or her child. She was letting Alethea's paranoia make her nuts.

The trip down the elevator was painfully silent as was the wait for the car to be brought out of the parking lot. Jake opened the door for Lil and handed her the car seat, watching as she secured it.

Not the mannerisms of a madman.

Relax.

Lil jumped when Jake asked, "Do you want me to drive?"

Since her legs were ready to betray her by shaking, Lil nodded. Driving while deceiving was never a safe option. Officer, I'm sorry I didn't see that red light I was too busy thinking about what Jake was going to say if he ever discovered why I asked him to come out with me today.

She gladly handed Jake her keys.

Buckled into the passenger seat, Lil faced forward, but watched Jake out of the corner of her eye. He'd secured his own seat belt, but hadn't started the car.

"We can't be friends, Lil," he announced to the steering wheel.

"Excuse me?" Lil swallowed nervously. In the movies, this is where he would tell me that I should have minded my own business–that he had hoped things would go differently, but I knew too much to be allowed to live.