Chapter 4

Cliff's mother turned on the television to see the news.

"Recently, there have been a great increase of missing people, and most of them are teenagers, around 12-21 years old. After further investigation, we have discovered all the missing people were last seen playing a VRMMORPG called 'Infinite Storm', which was released a year ago. We have contacted the company which created the game, but they have known nothing of this mysterious case. They have researched for another few days and have identified a serious bug in the system. The game has now been shut down to prevent further loss of people, and so far no more people have disappeared. We do not know if the missing are still alive, but we must believe that they will one day return. I am Clara Brown, and that is today's news. Have a good Sunday."

Cliff's mom looked over to Cliff's room. Its door was left ajar, and she could see the NerveGear on his bed. "Oh Cliff, where can you be?"

Meanwhile in the virtual world...

It was already late in the afternoon, and the sun had begun to drop into a purple bank of clouds. After a long and tiresome walk, the Knights of Destiny have finally arrived at Bolgara City. Exhausted, they decided to rent an inn where they could stay for the night.

At first Raven did not like the idea of sharing the same room, but since it was the only one left, there was no other choice. She laid down her mattress at one corner, while Cliff slept at the corner diagonal from hers.

"Hey Cliff," Raven said, "What's your parents' job?"

"Why suddenly ask me?"

"Nothing. Nevermind then."

"Nah, it's ok. I was just shocked you could actually ask that kind of question."

"Are you trying to say that I'm cold and can't socialize?"

"No, no, nothing like that. Hehe. Ok, back to topic. You were asking my parents' job right?" Cliff said, returning to the original topic. "Well, my dad, he makes video games, softwares, and stuff. My mom's an architect."

"Cool, you must have a lot of games. What's a game that your dad made?"

"Yeah, I do have a lot of games. But my dad's busy, so I don't see him a lot, and I don't really know what games he made. I remember one though, Phantom Blade."

"Ah, that game! I know it. The VRMMORPG right? I finished the game already. It was fun. Your dad's a genius."

"Yeah, I finished the game too."

"Is he planning to make another game? If so, please tell me. After we get back to the real world, of course."

"Raven, actually, my dad... He passed away in a car accident around a year ago."

"Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to remind you of bad things."

"That's okay. I know he's already at a better place now. How bout your parents?"

"They're movie actors."

"Oh, that's quite cool. What movie did they play?"

"Hmm. 25 Hours of a Day. That's their biggest hit."

"Wait, that movie. I didn't know they had a daughter. But I thought they..."

"Yes, they're dead too."

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that."

"After my parents died, I swore that I would cherish the people around me. But, my best friend died trying to save me. He sacrificed himself."

"Your friend? The one who gave you the dagger?"

"Yes. His name's Frost, gaming name, of course. We had been friends since we were children. One day, he suddenly disappeared, and then a week after my battery ran out. And I too, got transported here. We were walking around that alley where you and I first met, when I suddenly recalled this place. It was meant to be a trap. I immediately told Frost, but it was too late. Those baboons had already blocked the entrance. But he wanted to protect me. He asked me to seek for a place where we could hide, and after he finished dealing with the baboons, he would go and find me. But he never found me. He was killed by those monsters. That dagger was the last gift he gave me."

"And two months after, I rescued you.

"Rescued? You nearly killed me. It was the Blood Knights who rescued us."

"But if I didn't go to that building, Blood and his guild wouldn't have gone there. They were following me, remember?"

"Fine. So should I thank you?"

"No, there's no need. Hey, Raven," Cliff asked, "is Frost your boyfriend?"

"No, he's just my friend." Raven was thankful that she wore a hood, because she could feel her face turning red. "Cliff, next time remind me to not share the same room with you."

"How if it's the only one left?"

"Then you sleep outside."

"Hey! That's unfair."

"I'm a girl, and it's not safe for me to be outside alone. Besides, your level is higher, so you can easily get rid of anyone who tries to hurt you."

Cliff could only sigh. "She's finally back to her old self."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. I just said, 'It's already getting late. Better sleep.'"

"Oh really? Somehow I feel like you were talking about me."

"No, no, you must be wrong."

But Raven had already gone to sleep. Cliff looked at the window and saw the stars shining in the moonlit sky, and he closed his eyes.

~Infinite Storm~

The next day when the two awoke, the huge ball of fire had risen up and loomed over the horizon. They set off from the small inn and began to head for the first Shadow Lord.

"You know where to go right? Lead the way then." Raven commanded.

"I thought you knew the way too."

"Yes, but my memory's not that good."

"Fine, let's check the poem first."

"The poem? What for?"

"For finding the Shadow Tiger. Who knows it might be a little different from the original game? There may have been an update."

"Ok, I'll read it." Raven said.

"On the first day,

The Tiger shall feast in the east.

It shall make its hunters pay.

For it will release its three young beasts."

"Hmm. I was right. This is new. The first and last line changed." Cliff told Raven.

"Hmm. First day. Does that mean Monday? There are 7 Shadow Lords, and there are 7 days in a week."

"That makes sense."

"The second line's obvious. The third line. Its hunters?"

"Us. The players. We're hunting it. And the last line. It means that the Shadow Tiger now has three guardians. I believe we have to defeat them first before we can challenge the boss."

"Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see."