Prologue

Note: {To SAO fans: The main idea of this story is quite similar to the anime Sword Art Online, but the characters and setting are totally different. Nevertheless, credits to: Reki Kawahara.

P.S. The guy on the cover is not Kirito, but just a random picture I found on the net. He originally wore a dark blue cloak but I edited it to be black. As I said, only the general idea is same, the characters and settings are totally different. Thx:) }

Cliff dodged as he sensed a sword emerging from the shadows, trying to pierce him. Being unable to spot the foe, Cliff lured his opponent out from the gloomy forest.

After the two had left the forest, both sides were then able to see each other clearly.

Cliff's foe was tall, and everything he wore was gold. Golden armor, golden helmet, golden sword.

Cliff, on the other hand, wore all black, and he had a cool-looking cape on his back.

"Greetings. I am Drago, vice captain of The Dragon Knights. Our guild is currently busy with something. We would prefer that you would not interfere and take an alternative route."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I'm guessing you don't know me. I am Cliff, often referred to as The Shadow Knight. And I refuse to go on another route."

"Never heard of you. But if you plan to pass through the forest, I'm afraid that I'll have to take you down."

"I'd like to see you try. And remember my name, for once you fight me, I assure you, you will fear me."

Drago did not even hesitate to attack, he launched forward and tried to strike Cliff, but was rewarded with a parry. Drago, however, did not stop here. He immediately went for another strike and almost managed to slash Cliff, but The Shadow Knight was quicker. He dodged to the right and smack the foe's head with the hilt of his sword.

Cliff used this opportunity to finish him off. While Drago was dazed, he prepared to use his finishing move. Midnight Illusion. The Shadow Knight used his black cape and threw it to the front to cover himself, which distracted the opponent, then he rushed to Drago's back, and before the Dragon Knight came back to his senses, Cliff slashed.

Just when everything seemed to be alright for Cliff, he suddenly got some sort of vision.

He saw himself and a man, probably in his late thirties or early forties, alone in a dark room. They were talking about something, Cliff was not sure what, but he knew it was not a memory from the past. Somehow, however, Cliff felt that the man was really familiar, as if he reminded him of a close relative or friend.

Cliff was struck back to reality when the Dragon Knight stabbed right through his belly.

"That's what you get when you try to interfere with the Dragon Knights." Drago said, and those were the last words he heard.

"You Died!!!," a voice said. "Would you like to log out, or respawn at your last checkpoint, Bolgara City?"

Cliff glanced at his watch. "Log out."

"Very well then. Play again next time."

Cliff woke up at his room and looked around, trying to get his mind out of the virtual world. Ever since his father 'died' a year ago, he had been continuously playing this VRMMORPG (Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) called 'Infinite Storm', thus pulling his grades down.

His mother had already scolded him for this addiction, but he simply just wouldn't listen.

A year ago, on the 15th of December, Cliff was waiting for his dad to go home. It was his 14th birthday, and he was looking forward to seeing the present that his father was about to give him. Time ticked by, and before Cliff knew it, it was already 7 in the evening. His father was supposed to reach home at 5, but even traffic couldn't have delayed him this much.

Just then, his mother received a call. A moment after she picked it up, she burst out crying. She informed Cliff that his dad had had an accident on his way home from his work lab. The car was completely in ashes, but surprisingly, one object was still undamaged. And that thing was Cliff's birthday present, the new VRMMORPG, 'Infinite Storm'.