Rope Climb

- Luke -

I saw North and Sang watching as Raven talked to Axel. She was smiling, and he looked grumpy, normal.

I rubbed my hands together as I approached her. "Want to watch me play next?"

Her small hand took mine. "Absolutely."

I gave her a goofy grin, and she giggled.

I loved these moments when I had all her attention. Sharing her was part of my life, and that was okay. I desperately hoped I would always be able to share her with my brothers. There was no way we could let her go.

I swore, I saw freaking rainbows and butterflies when she was near. I don't know what was wrong with me.

Liar. I did... I was completely in love with the green-eyed goddess.

She'd brought so much joy to my life. She had been robbed of it herself for so long, and I intended to make up for it.

Every moment I was with her, I wanted to return the feeling. Make her smile, make her laugh. I didn't care if I looked like a fool doing it at times.

Each laugh or giggle she gave me was like a nugget of gold, and I intended to be a very rich man.

- Sang -

A huge high beam was before us with several ropes hanging down from it. At the top of the ropes on the beam were bells.

Luke was doing the rope climb.

So was Brandon.

The beam was twenty feet high. Luke would have to climb the rope, ring the bell, then lower himself back down but not put his feet on the ground to rest. He would then have to repeat the process for a total of five times.

The one to reach the top ringing the bell for a fifth time first won.

Meanie and Victor stood on either side of me as Luke took his place in front of a rope. Brandon was at the one next to him.

"This seems like it would be really hard."

"It f****** sucks, Trouble. That's why I didn't sign up for it. But he's been practicing a lot and has really improved."

"Brandon won last year, Princess, but Luke could take it this time."

Sean handed out gloves to each competitor. They put them on and stood ready.

The horn went off and they started climbing. I'm amazed at how fast they all are. Luke, Brandon and another guy all hit their bell and started back down the rope. Once their feet were just above the ground they started up again.

I intently watched counting each time Luke's bell would ring. 1... 2... 3... 4...

Luke and Brandon were both going up for the last time. Both of them straining and their muscles shook. They gritted their teeth as they climbed. Their faces were beet red.

Brandon hit his bell.

...5

Luke was just a second too late.

I worried he would be upset like North had been.

Luke climbed down a little ways then let go and jumped the rest.

The boys gave him pats on the back and said how well he did.

I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him close. He gave me a gentle hugin return. I leaned back a bit to look up at him, our arms still around eachother. He gave me a beautiful smile and kissed my cheek with a loud wet smack!

"You don't seem to be bothered at all about not winning." I giggled up at him.

"What are you talking about? Of course I won! Look who I have in my arms."

I giggled and hugged him again tightly and closed my eyes.

My sweet funnyman.

I loved him so much.