CHAPTER THREE

[May 4 – Tucson, AZ

Most of the northeast was without power as well as many other areas across America. According to news reports broadcasted on the major network and cable news affiliate stations, it would take weeks before power could be restored to those areas. Cooper figured it would be more like months or even a year and wondered if Canada and Mexico had suffered the same fate.

Although martial law wasn't formally declared, curfews were enforced in all blacked out areas and in many densely populated cities and towns. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) had dispatched troops dressed in black riot gear uniforms. The troops patrolled the major highways and erected roadblocks to restrict access in and out of major cities.

He had received thousands of eyewitness accounts from The Ravens who had witnessed forced to evacuations. The devastation from the attacks was worse than he first thought.

Reports about the flu were popping up all across the country but nothing in depth. His contact with Jeff flickered in his thoughts, but he brushed aside any worries about the flu. He was convinced Jeff had nothing more than a bad hangover. Besides, Cooper never got sick, even when everyone else around him dropped like flies.

He had concerns about Shannon being at the hospital, but there was no changing her mind when she was set on doing something, especially when it involved her job. Besides, there was nothing he could do from Tucson.

About fifteen percent of the messages he received mentioned the flu. He searched his databases with the keyword flu to find out if there was any chatter. Rapture—the word jumped out at him over and over in conjunction with a weaponized virus similar to the Spanish Flu made in the good ole U.S. of A.

The earliest mentions went back a couple of months, most of it conjecture, about what kind of damage a super virus could wreak on a population if bio-terrorists unleashed it on the public.

It was only a matter of time before a pandemic hit the U.S, but reports of the virus seemed to come from everywhere at the same time. There was usually only one patient zero, an index case in a population pin-pointing the source of an outbreak. But what if a number of patient zeros were created on purpose?

He emailed a warning to all his website members:

Ravens,

A new virus called Rapture has been reported throughout the U.S. and may be spreading globally. Symptoms include high fever, upper respiratory infection, nausea, and vomiting. Deaths have been reported. Tell everyone you know to avoid all public places if possible; the level of infection of this virus is extremely HIGH!

Please follow the attached bio-contamination protection rules. Share the file at your local Dead Drop if it's not already there.

If you don't hear from me again via email, follow the Dead Drop protocol. below I will try to keep everyone posted with any new information as soon as I can. I may be offline for a few days to secure my family's safety.

Dead Drop Protocol:

*Check your Dead Drops often, both local and travelers' Dead Drops.

*Share any new information on ALL local Dead Drops in your area.

*Share any new local information on travelers' Dead Drops.

*Keep Dead Drop flash drives coverer so they aren't exposed to the elements.

*Replace any damaged flash drives and transfer all files if possible.