Chapter 5: Acceptance

"What?" Toshiro was confused at the abrupt change of subject. Why are you doing this for me? What was that supposed to mean?

"Like, why are you being so nice to me?" Zhou fingered his chopsticks as he spoke, looking down at the table.

Toshiro thought for a moment. "Does this really count as being very nice? I trespassed onto your territory, and you haven't been upset or done anything to retaliate. What reason would I have to harm you?"

Zhou still avoided eye contact with Toshiro but answered. "You've discovered a nine-year-old boy on his own, yet you haven't contacted the police or anything. And instead, you invite him to lunch. There has to be a reason you're doing that."

"It's really not a big deal; I just wanted some company, that's all. Anyway, I don't see any reason to call the police when nothing is happening that breaks the law."

The conversation almost dwindled into silence, before Zhou finally replied in the quiet, serious manner that Toshiro was finding characteristic of him. "People have done worse for much less than that."

Another glimpse into Zhou's mysterious past, perhaps. Toshiro wondered what traumatizing event had scarred his childhood, but he thought it would be better to avoid asking. He wouldn't want to push too far and crush the delicate balance he had painstakingly formed with Zhou. It was almost ironic, in a sense, but telling Toshiro that he couldn't trust anyone had revealed more about Zhou than many other things could've.

Instead, Toshiro turned toward his food. He was almost done with his own meal, but Zhou was still yet to touch his.

"Eat," Toshiro said, his tone almost gently chiding. "If you're still wary of any possible poisons, I could sample a bit of it to prove that the food is perfectly fine. But going hungry won't do you any good."

Zhou considered for a moment. He finally nodded, but seemed slightly abashed as he ladled some of his food into Toshiro's bowl.

Toshiro ate it, then commented, "See, I'm still alive, aren't I? Now eat quickly, before the noodles cool any further."

"Alright." The conversation then faded, but instead of the awkward silence earlier, this one was more of a comfortable mutual acceptance.

Toshiro observed Zhou, who scarfed down his food quickly, and Toshiro wondered how much self-control it had taken him to avoid eating when he was obviously extremely hungry. He was also reminded of Zhou's thin frame. When was the last time this boy had had a proper meal?

Zhou finished eating and quietly put down his chopsticks. He searched through his pocket before finally finding the money he'd stashed inside. It'd taken him a long time to gather the few dollars he had now, and it felt painfully wasteful to spend it on food when there were other necessities he could use it for, but he didn't want to be any more indebted to Toshiro than he already was.

Cash was a rarity nowadays, almost becoming outdated in favor of all the electronic payment methods, but most stores still accepted it. Zhou hoped that this restaurant would.

"Oh, you're done?" Toshiro pulled out his wallet and was about to scan it on the table before Zhou took out his own money.

"Thanks, but I can pay for my food."

Toshiro pondered this statement. It didn't seem very truthful, seeing the state Zhou was currently in, but there had been a kind of quiet defiance in his tone. Although he wanted to help, he wasn't sure if it would possibly damage Zhou's self-confidence, maybe.

He also wasn't about to let Zhou's situation go ignored, though. "Yes, but this meal is my treat. Think of it as an compensation of sorts, for inadvertently trespassing."

He could see Zhou's hesitation and took advantage of it to scan his card on the table before Zhou could insert the paper bills.

"Oops, I guess I made the decision for you." Toshiro grinned apologetically, afraid to have offended Zhou, but he too shyly smiled back.