THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy

Start from the beginning

"Finally some alone time," Hiccup said in relief. Returning with his friends was a blessing-and a curse, for they had no idea about personal space and were tending to cling tighter to their returned leader and Astrid, as if to make sure neither ran off again. Both had become used to spending a lot of time alone with their dragons and though spending time with each other was perfect, the addition of Snotlout and the twins tended to make them feel...crowded.

"No distractions, no interruptions," Astrid agreed, snuggling against him. She was honestly grateful for Hjordis and knew the woman would look after her daughter well in her absence. Smiling, Hiccup turned his head and their lips met in a hesitant, gentle kiss. They hadn't even thought about becoming intimate again, what with Valkana and the others bursting in on them at a moment's notice-but it was evident both were keen to try to rekindle their relationship in stages and move forward. Especially since Dagur and Heather were passing very obvious hints about marriage.

"INCOMING!"

Acting on instinct, the pair flung themselves apart as a Zippleback crashed on the blanket where they had been seconds earlier and skidded along the beach. Rolling to his knees and brushing the sand out of his hair, Hiccup looked up and scowled.

"What the...?" he asked but the twins were walking around the point of impact tutting and shaking their heads. "For Thor's sake! What are you guys...?" Hiccup shouted at them.

"Nope-not long enough-or wide enough!" Ruff said briskly.

"Are you sure about width?" Tuff asked her hopefully but his sister shook her head with finality.

"Sorry, bro-width and length are both too small!" The male twin flung his hands in the air.

"Oh-come on!" he protested. "What do we have to do to be the greatest?" Sharing a perplexed look, Astrid and Hiccup walked towards them.

"Leave?" she suggested but Hiccup shook his head, recognising a fresh bout of twins craziness. It was something he was pretty certain he hadn't missed on his quest to locate Astrid.

"Okay-will someone please fill me in?" he asked them as they looked at him in exasperation. Tuff sighed.

"So you see-every dragon but ours has a talent-something special only they can do that makes them famous," he explained.

"Hookfang's the hottest, Meatlug makes Gronckle iron..." Ruff explained, petting Barf aimlessly. The Zippleback gave a gentle rumble. "And Stormfly's the fastest-but only when she eats chicken." Astrid winced as the Nadder gave an eager growl: she would now expect to be given chicken and would follow her rider around until she got some!

"Which still counts-even though it's only a technicality," Tuff admitted and then walked towards the Night Fury. Toothless backed up a pace: he knew the male twin was crazy and could do anything-from giving him Dragon-Nip to painting him orange, both of which had happened when they were dragon racing. "And look at Toothless-he's the cutest...obviously..." he gushed, rubbing Toothless's nose and then lifting up a wary front paw and fist-bumping him. "I mean-look at him...he's a cute little puppy..." Even Hiccup smiled at the dragon's confused warble and his careful inspection of his paw after the fist-bump...just to check Tuff hadn't done anything to him. "What about Barf'n'Belch? What makes them special? Was makes them famous?"

The dragon blew a smoke ring that perfectly rolled around their entire body as the two would-be picnickers frowned.

"They're...the gassiest?" Astrid suggested.

"They...have two heads?" Hiccup hazarded.

"Oh, come on!" Tuff protested, glaring at Hiccup. "You're better than that!" Looking very uncomfortable with Ruff walking up to him and resting her hands on his shoulders, he said the first thing he could think of.