Chapter 16: The Battle

"What are you doing? Are you mad?" Peter yelled at me when I didn't stop where they were. I continued out onto the grass. I sat down and yelled at them to shut up. I needed to concentrate. I hadn't done this in a while.

I watched as the first stones from the catapults began to rain down over us. I forced myself to stay calm as one hit the ground mere meters away from me. I heard Edmund swear and footsteps nearing. I turned around and saw Edmund coming closer to me.

"Edmund! Stay where you are! I've got this!" I shouted at him. He hesitated. "Trust me. I can handle this myself." I looked at him and he went back to Peter. I breathed in deeply and tried to remain calm. What I was about to do was possibly the most dangerous thing a person who can affect the elements can do.

I was about to force the elements to do as I wanted. To do that, I had to be one with the element. I closed my eyes and imagined fire. I created a mental picture of a flame. I let it grow inside my mind, forcing everything else away. I breathed in and imagined the smell of smoke, remembered how it feels to sit at a fire a cold night in the winter. I then pictured myself as a part of the fire. Inside one of the flames, I pictured myself as the fire.

I felt the heat inside me, I could feel the energy flowing through my veins. I knew it worked. I opened my eyes again and saw everything that was going on. I didn't see it through my eyes, I was outside my body. I was an invisible flame in the air. I saw everything through a light orange shimmer, just like you can see the heat on a hot day.

I saw the Telmarine cavalry advancing forwards, towards us. I didn't care about them. Peter, Caspian and Edmund would take care of them. I concentrated on the catapults. I floated towards one of them in particular and touched it. I went through it and watched the flames spread from where I touched it. The Telmarines who were controlling it fled in panic. I went on to the next one and did the same. Two out of six catapults eliminated.

I floated up higher in the air and watched my work. I'd definitely caused some panic. I looked towards Aslan's How and saw how the Narnian army attacked the Telmarine army. It looked like Peter's plan worked, because half of the cavalry was caught in a hole in the ground, made by Caspian's part of the army. The ground in front of the How is only supported by pillars, there is an underground cave system below it. It connects with the How and the plan was that Caspian and his troops would destroy them, make the ground collapse and catch the Telmarines in the hole. And then kill them.

Everyone seemed to avoid my body where it was, and I was thankful for that. If I lost my concentration, I would wake up. Hopefully. There was a risk that I would get lost inside the element, and there was no turning back then. If I got lost in the element, I could never come out again.

A new danger occurred when the rest of the Telmarine army started to move forwards. They were slowly but surely moving towards the How, trapping the Narnian army. I moved down and set two other catapults on fire before I realized I was needed elsewhere. Caspian had summoned the griffins, and they were attacking the Telmarine army. But the Telmarines had a nasty comeback – they had giant crossbows that they shot the griffins down with. I set fire to one of them before I felt a pull in my back.

I was pulled out of my dream-like state and found myself upon a horseback. I had no idea of how I ended up here, but I was happy I came back to consciousness instead of being lost inside the element. I opened my eyes and saw that I was sitting behind Caspian. I blinked a couple of times, trying to make myself a bit less tired. My body ached. I knew I needed to rest soon, but I didn't have time now.

"Back to the How!" I heard Peter yell. I grabbed ahold of Caspian's back as he told the horse to move faster. Unfortunately, we didn't make it. The entrance to the How was blocked by falling stones. The stones from the catapult's I didn't have time to destroy made parts of the How collapse and blocked the entrance. Well, my home is now destroyed, I thought. The horse stopped and reared. I fell off and landed on my back.