Chapter 3: Prince Caspian

The way back took less time than the way there. Maybe because the wind was with me this time, maybe because I was angry. Or maybe because I took a different way this time to pick up my sword from a nearby cave. I looked out for any soldiers on my way through the forest, but I didn't see any. But I still didn't want to be seen.

I ran through the last part of the forest. I walked up to the very small door to Trufflehunter's cave. I didn't knock, I just went inside. And was met by a fight, again. I closed the door and watched the fight without anyone noticing me.

"That's enough, Nikabrik!" Trufflehunter said angrily. "Or do I have to sit on your head again?"

I couldn't help but giggle a bit.

"You sat on his head?" I asked and walked further into the cave. I took the metal stick from the boy and put it back where it belonged. I looked at Nikabrik and he put down his sword.

"What are you?" the boy asked Trufflehunter. I sighed and shook my head.

"You know, it's funny that you would ask that," Trufflehunter said. "You think more people would know a badger when they saw one."

"Trufflehunter, can I have some soup please?" I asked him. I sat down beside the boy and Trufflehunter returned with a bowl of soup for me. I smiled and started drinking the soup while listening to the other's conversation.

"No. No, I mean... You're Narnians," the boy said. "You're supposed to be extinct."

"Sorry to disappoint you," Nikabrik said and sat down at the table. If it wasn't for the soup, I would've commented that. But Trufflehunter's soups are just so good tasting.

"Here you go. Still hot," Trufflehunter said to the boy and gave him a bowl of soup too.

"Since when did we open a boarding house for Telmarine soldiers?" Nikabrik asked. I put down my now empty bowl of soup.

"I'm not a soldier," the boy said and stood up. "I am Prince Caspian. The tenth."

"Well, that changes things," I said.

"What are you doing here," Nikabrik asked. I wondered that too.

"Running away," Caspian said. "My uncle has always wanted my throne. I suppose I have only lived this long because he did not have an heir of his own."

"Well, that changes things," Trufflehunter said.

"Yeah," both Nikabrik and I said.

"Means we don't have to kill you ourselves," Nikabrik continued and leaned back.

"Nikabrik!" I said.

"You're right," Caspian said and rushed over to where his cloak and sword was hanging.

"Where are you going?" Trufflehunter asked.

"My uncle won't stop until I am dead," Caspian said while taking on some armor. I went past him and blocked the way out.

"But you can't leave," Trufflehunter said. "You're meant to save us!"

Caspian stopped with what he was doing and looked at the badger. I did too.

"Don't you know what this is?" he lifted the horn up.

"That's Queen Susan's horn," I said. "By blowing in it, you've summoned the Kings and Queens of old back to Narnia."

"That's not possible," Caspian said.

"Oh, it is. They're already here," I said. "But not as you might think."

"I am getting out of here," Caspian said.

"No, you can't leave now!" Trufflehunter said again.

"Out of my way," Caspian said to me. I blocked the door.

"Young man, you're not leaving," I said.

"Young?" he asked. "I am older than you!"

"I am older than I look. And watch your tongue. You don't know who you're speaking to," I said. He pushed me away from the door and left. I sighed.

"Why can't anyone do as they're told?" I said frustrated and went out after him. "Caspian!"

"No! I will not come back! I am just risking all of your lives!" he said without turning around.

"Do you think you'll survive long in the forest on your own?" I asked. "If the Telmarines doesn't kill you, the others will."

He still didn't stop and I ran forwards and grabbed his arm.

"Are you mad or aren't you listening?" I said. "You'll die out here alone!"

"Then come with me," he said.

"What?!" I said. "Listen, I don't think you've understood."

"Now you are not listening," he said. "I will not go back and you do not want to let me go on my own. Then come with me."

I thought about it. It wasn't a bad idea, actually. If I was with him, I could both protect him and guide him.

"Fine," I said and started walking. "Are you coming or not?"

He started walking. "Yes. I am."

I looked around when we walked. The birds were singing and I could hear a waterfall far away. Of course I also heard someone following us. I looked back and saw Trufflehunter and Nikabrik, who shook their heads and motioned for me to be quiet. I smiled and looked forwards again.

"Emily? Is that your name?" Caspian asked after a while.

"I have many names, but I prefer to be called Emily, yes," I said.

"Well, Emily, if we get into a fight, I tell you now to let me do the fighting," he said.

"Excuse me?"

"Yes, if I tell you when we are already fighting, it could be hard for you to get out of the fight," he explained.

"Don't you think I can defend myself?" I asked loudly. I do not like when people don't think I'm good enough. I can protect myself!

"Everybody knows that women do not fight," Caspian said. I stopped where I was.

"Excuse me, my dear prince, but I think you'll have to think again," I said sarcastically. He stopped too and turned around.

"What are you doing?" he asked me when I dropped my bow and quiver to the ground. I took off my cloak.

"I am going to teach you a lesson," I said. I picked up my sword. "Grab your sword, or are you afraid of losing against a girl?"

He shook his head and grabbed his sword. I didn't wait and attacked.

I loved sword fighting. Even though it was just practice and none of us aimed for killing, I still felt happy. It was long time since I had an opponent this skilled.

I ducked under his sword, blocked an attack from him and stood up straight, spun around and blocked another attack. This boy was good, I have to say. I stepped forward when he was swinging his sword backwards, blocked that attack and pushed my sword upwards. The suddenly I backed away so he lost his balance. I knocked the sword out of his hands and caught it as he fell down on his stomach.

"Two out of three?" I said. He stood up, brushed off the dirt from his front and took back the sword. He had a red tint on his cheeks.

"Let's continue moving," he said and walked forwards. I followed and smiled.