An hour later, our muscles are sore and we enjoy the sauna attached to the changing rooms. Lucky for us, we've got the small room all to ourselves because, apparently, almost nobody is at the gym during the early afternoon of a rainy Monday. While I intended to go home after one round, Keith educates me that anyone interested in being healthy is supposed to do three sets of fifteen minutes with breaks of at least half an hour in between.

So, that's what we do.

Back in the changing room, I notice that Dael has called twice and left a message asking where I am, what I am doing, and when I think I am going to be back. That's nicely put, I admit, but I'm doing my best to read between the lines when it comes to Dael. My stomach growls, reminding me that I really need to grab some food, and Keith agrees with the suggestion.

Suffice to say it's half past ten when I get home, and I've had a couple beer and also two cocktails and a great evening that we agreed needs repetition soon enough. Dael hasn't replied to any of my texts, so I suspect he's sulking because I'm coming home late. My spirits are high nonetheless. After all, he can't really stay mad with me lately.

When I push the door open, I hear the last remnants of voices that dropped instantly the moment I walked in. There's a naked woman taking a shower.

"It's not what you think it is," Dael growls before I can form a coherent thought. He steps in front of me, effectively blocking her firm curves from my sight. The spark of jealousy kicks in right then, sending my heart into a painful frenzy. I cross my elbows in front of my chest.

"Oh, really? Well, enlighten me then, Dael."

"She's my daughter," he groans.

"Oh, sure," I scoff. It might be unfair, but he can't expect me to just swallow that. Why the fuck is she naked? "Completely forgot that everyone's your family now."

"Belle!" Dael turns around to where she's leisurely drying herself with a towel, rubbing her breasts. I narrow my eyes at her. "Put some clothes on and tell him there's nothing to worry about."

Belle chuckles lightly and wraps the towel around her wet hair, then strolls over to us without a care for her nakedness. Her small feet slap against the parquet floor. Dael glares at her as well.

"Clothes."

"Oh, come on, daddy," she purrs in a completely inappropriate way - if she's really the daughter. My fingers twitch as I watch her press her body to his side, and I would tear her away if my strength was any match for hers. I swallow audibly.

"Belle, I said put some clothes on. He-"

"God, loosen up, daddy," she groans and steps away from him, only to wrap her arms around me now. I stiffen, feeling her hard nipples at my stomach and resisting the urge to kill her. I'm staring straight at Dael who seems to entertain the same idea. Maybe this really is his daughter - or he's just jealous.

"I'm Belle," she grins, leaning back a little to get a look at my face. "It's so good to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you."

"Have you?" I ask doubtfully. My gaze travels back and forth between Dael and her. She's beaming at me, and the way her lips push aside her cheeks reminds me a lot of Dael's carefree laugh. Even the memory has my heart stirring.

"She hasn't," Dael interrupts and pulls her away from me. She stumbles backwards, grimacing at his firm grasp. "Clothes, Belle. Now."

"Ugh, fine. You're always so uptight," she complains annoyed and makes her way back to the shower area, a nice sway to her hips.

"And you don't need to stare at her like that."

"What?" I frown at him, then look back at his daughter, who's shrugging into a loose blue dress that reminds me of summer. Dael steps into my line of sight again.

"I told you to stop staring," he grunts, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "Can't anyone ever do what I tell them?

"Well, you're the one who put the naked woman into our home, so excuse me for looking."

"You don't need to look at anyone else; I don't care where," he states with finality. I stop myself from making another sarcastic comment and instead give myself the time to process that he's jealous because I'm looking at his daughter. Good to know that he's unaware of how mono my sexuality is - serves him right. "Stop grinning."

"God," Belle groans, already on her way back to us. "Give him a break, daddy. Since when are you this jealous?"

"I'm not jealous," he shoots back instantly. His eyes narrow to a dangerous degree. Oh, he's so jealous. Maybe I should tell him, though it's really nice to see him care.

"Dael, I've never been with a woman."

"So?"

"This is exhausting," Belle mutters, shaking her head. "He's not into girls, daddy. He's saying I could jump him and his little friend wouldn't give a damn."

"And how would you know?" he snaps at her and she groans, rolling her eyes at him.

"I'm listening to what he's saying. Besides, he has as much interest as you in his eyes when he looks at me. And believe me, a woman can tell."

"Woman," he snorts.

"You're unbelievable. Why do you even care who he screws?"

"I love him."

My heart jumps happily inside my chest, and I'm sure they can hear it in the silence that stretches. Belle gnaws at her bottom lip, glancing aside. Slowly, Dael's expression softens. I think I missed something.

"But you said you loved mom, and you never cared."

Dael heaves a sigh before pulling her into his arms. He places a lingering kiss on her head. "Your mother and I were different. I loved her, but now I'm in love with Allorian. You understand?"

She nods, rubbing her face against his chest. It's weird to see them like this - like I'm not supposed to watch, and the conversation isn't the kind I should listen to, either. I don't need to hear them talk about Dael's love for his ex. I also don't want to, and maybe I can't.