Chapter 33

I dropped my purse, then rubbed my temples, "It's not what you think. What are you doing here anyway? Don't you have another week left of Bible thumping camp or whatever?"

I know, I'm being a prick, but deep down; I've always been a villain and besides, I'm pretty sure I can justify it. She claims to trust me, but accuses me of being unfaithful? She said our wedding night was the best night of her life, but I forced her into marriage? Fuck that. Fuck her.

Adalyne scoffed, "Don't try to divert attention away from the real issue here. You went to that bar. We got into a fight. You obviously didn't come home last night. Your clothes are wrinkled and you look rough, but more than all of that, a strange woman brought you home at 1:00 in the afternoon. I saw you hugging her as well. How do you think that looks to me? And, I'm here, because I couldn't sleep after you hung up on me. I tried to call and text, but got your voicemail and no response. I was worried and decided that our marriage was more important than, "Bible thumping camp," as you so crassly put it. I caught the first flight to come home and fix the mistake my words made, but clearly, the mistake was coming home at all."

Ouch.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, then opened them and said, "I didn't sleep with her. Phil did, actually. I slept in the guest room by myself and that's the truth, so I don't care how it looks. As for fixing the mistake your words made, don't bother. I don't want you to have to compromise your morals by lying to me to save my feelings. You should have stayed at your retreat. I'm going to take a shower, then sleep off this hangover. Do whatever you want, Adalyne."

I started toward the bedroom and didn't look back. This is killing me, but I'll be damned if I let it show. I will not let her see what her truth did to me.

I cleaned my teeth, then undressed and stood under the hot water, letting it fall on my face and wash away the tears I foolishly let fall because of her.

I stayed in that shower until the water turned cold, then pulled back the curtain with chattering teeth. Adalyne was there holding up a towel for me, so I took it and mumbled a thank you. She left me to finish up in the restroom and I took my time. I know she wants to talk and I'm scared to death which direction that talk is going to take.

When I walked out, Adalyne was sitting on the edge of our bed with her hands in her lap and staring out the window. I let out a breath, then walked over and sat beside her. We didn't say anything, or even look at each other. Adalyne just reached over and linked our fingers together, then laid her head on my shoulder.

I knew this was probably the beginning of our end, but I wasn't ready to lose us, and as Adalyne reached up with her other hand and started rubbing my hair between her fingers, it was heartbreakingly obvious; she wasn't ready either.

.....

We didn't speak about that fight.

We walked on eggshells around each other for the rest of the week, but we still spent every minute together. Our words were few, but kind, and our touches were sparing, but gentle. I found myself missing Adalyne, even though she was right next to me.

I couldn't take anymore by the second week, so I broke down and apologized. I told Adalyne that I was wrong and failed to regard her feelings. Adalyne apologized as well and said she truly didn't mean it and spoke out of anger and jealousy.

We accepted each others apology and forgave without a second thought. I had no choice. I need her.

Our lives fell back to normal and we spent the rest of the summer finding ways to make each other laugh, dancing in our garden, and making love at every given opportunity. We saw a therapist together, just to keep our relationship on the right path and Adalyne gifted me with a couples cooking class for my birthday.