Chapter 44 - Victory of the Daleks, Part 2

Start from the beginning

She snickered. "You go right, I go left? She probably hasn't gone too far, at least." 

He nodded. "But fairy-girl?" He caught her hand before she could leave. "Please be careful. I mean it."

She nodded. "I will. Don't think they'll try anything until they get what they want, though. I'll come back here once I've checked the map room."

"And I'll check Churchill's office. She can't have gone too far," the Doctor decided, going with her to the door, leaving Churchill arguing quietly with Bracewell as they split up in the hallway.

Lyssa methodically checked each room until she came to the map room, sighing in relief when she saw Amy in there chatting with another soldier. "Pond!" she scolded, marching in and ignoring the start the other soldier gave, his face hidden in the shadows. "You should know better than to just wander off like that, especially given the circumstances!"

Amy scoffed, strolling back over to her. "Nothing's going to happen. You and the Doctor stopped it, whatever it was."

Lyssa shook her head. "Temporarily. They're still some of the most hostile, dangerous creatures in existence! Now, come on, we have to get back to the Doctor!" 

A beam shot out from behind her and hit the soldier Amy had been talking to, sending him crashing to the floor, dead. In an instant, another two officers fell as several more beams shot out and screams filled the room.

She spun around and immediately jerked her head back, throwing her hands up in the air as she came face-to-face with a Dalek. "Don't shoot!" 

"What is the meaning of this?" one of the aides demanded, coming around the table glaring at the Dalek, a hand resting on his gun. "Disarm yourself at once or you'll be deactivated!"

"No, don't -!" Lyssa started, but it was too late, and with a scream, the aide was shot and killed like the rest of his companions. "You didn't have to kill him!" she shouted, flinching when the eyestalk came back around to regard her.

"Neither did we have to let him live," it said coldly. "We are the master race, and all others will be exterminated! Exterminate! Exterminate!" It fired wildly around the room, killing another soldier and eliciting screams from the few living people remaining, hiding as best as they could underneath the tables. 

"Then why are we still here?" Lyssa shouted, drawing its attention back to her. "Why are Amy and I still alive? What do you need us for?"

"Amelia Pond is an associate of the Doctor. It has long been known that the Doctor will surrender to protect his associates."

"And what about me? Why am I still here, then? You didn't mention me."

"Lyssa, maybe don't ask the killer robots why you're still alive," Amy hissed from her position in the corner, her hands still protectively over her head.

"The Doctor has identified you as the 'Fairy-girl', the companion of the Doctor since time began. Also known as the Child of Time. This is not where you die," the Dalek said simply.

Lyssa frowned, taken aback. "So you can't kill me here, because my death's a fixed point in time, or you know me at a later date, or what? Something that has to happen, and it can't happen here? Still doesn't answer the question. Why am I here?"

"You are here because you have the power to return us to life."

"Wait, what?" Lyssa stared at the Dalek, now completely confused. "I don't think I do."

"We are weakened by time and war. Even now, our power will not last us much longer. As the Child of Time, if you identify us, the Progenitor will recognize us and the Daleks will return to life! You will restore the Daleks! Restore the Daleks!" it screeched.